Back to the LNER - Askrigg Station (1950’s)

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Back to the LNER - Askrigg Station (1950’s)

Post by Tom F »

Longtime since I’ve been posting here I know, since I departed for modelling deepest darkest Wales.

To put it bluntly, I've had no incentive towards model railways. Roughly a year ago, several ideas popped into my head, projects I went all 'hell for leather' in research etc...but I now realise a lot of this was a coping mechanism for Dad's continuing decline in health.

Over the past few months, the acceptance of Dad's passing made facing Cwm Prysor quite difficult..... On the back of this I met someone last October, and we dated for a couple of months but between Christmas and New Year we parted ways, which again left me at the beginning of the New Year in not the best of places and for whatever reason I couldn't face modelling.

It's only now that I'm coming out of this shadow.....I've got into taking landscape photography which I'm really enjoying and hoping I can apply some of these techniques to my modelling photography. Cwm Prysor will be finished, but I'm still leaving it be for the time being.

What has helped, has been turning back to researching (something I've always enjoyed) and planning another layout, but this time I'm looking into somewhere that has always meant a lot to me, and very close to home. A recent announcement from a retailer/manufacturer has certainly helped cement this decision.

North Eastern Region, the Wensleydale Branch....Askrigg Station (with some compression)
DA736FA0-B81B-4DA9-8AF6-D4492E9E7DB1.jpeg
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Back to the LNER - Askrigg Station (1950’s)

Post by JASd17 »

Welcome back Tom.

The G5 announcement I am guessing?

John
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm glad to hear that the shadow is fading.

More power to you elbow.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:45 pm I'm glad to hear that the shadow is fading.

More power to you elbow.
Thanks Mr King

Hope to catch up at some point, it's been too long!
Tom Foster
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Modelling the Wensleydale Branch, in some form goes back 6-7 years. The motive power has always appealed to me, with pre grouping NE examples through to some LNER types. The Passenger service was in the hands of G5s, J21s and D20s, while freight was usually worked by J21, J25s and K1s (62044 was the regular from Northallerton, although later in the 50s a couple more examples arrived. I've also seen the odd photo of a B1 on the branch...presumably being borrowed from either Darlington or York.

The passenger service ceased in April 1954, however goods continued through until 1964.
Askrigg plan.jpeg
Askrigg catered for general goods and coal, and the plan below gives you an idea of the set up. I aim to have it fit into 14ft with some compression here or there.
askrigg good shed.jpeg
Tom Foster
SAD Burdett
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by SAD Burdett »

That's wonderful news Tom,,,, that means I can take an interest in your activities again!!!!
Re your recent family upheavals,,,, as painful as it is now before long that pain will turn into some wonderfully happy memories!!!

Nothing stays the same,,, as you have just proved by "coming back".

All the best and I look forward to seeing you again at some point in the future.

With sincere regards,

SAD & Salmon Pastures
Modelling 4mm finescale 00. LNER GCR GNR.
If anyone in Norwich area wants to visit and natter you are very welcome, just make contact.
http://salmonpastures.blogspot.co.uk
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

On previous welsh layout (the one not finished), I built my first point, I enjoyed the laying of the timber sleepers, but did find the fettling of getting things to run smoothly frustrating. Due to being a one man band, the building of the track took longer than I would have liked.

Therefore I’m looking into using the new Peco Bullhead track. Mr King I believe had a play with some of these, Graeme did your kit locos have any issues running through them?
Tom Foster
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Good to see you back Tom and in the land of proper green locos,
I had thought you were going the way of a certain coach builder in the west of
the country who never finishes a layout...................
You do well to carry on, hope to catch up again one day soonish.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

No problems to report with Peco bullhead so far Tom.

0-6-0s shod with Markits, Gibson or Sharman wheels negotiated the points without difficulty, even after I had curved the points somewhat. My DIY P1, Hornby LNER Pacifics /P2s and locos on Bachmann split-axle chassis also behaved correctly - with BTBs previously adjusted to reasonable values.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Thanks Graeme

From what I’ve seen they look very good, and the fact I need to compress the plan, the larger radius pecos are still around half the size of a scale turnout, helping compression.

I read you were able to curve them too slightly. I suspect making a couple of mine more prototypical to the plan (Y and slightly curved) should be possible.

Off to take photos of the Station site this afternoon (I’ve had permission). Should have some photos later.
Tom Foster
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The challenge of compression without loss of realism! I've recently been wrestling with a plan to try to fit most of the features of a country station into an eight foot length when the true scale would be nearer thirteen feet. It isn't easy.

Luckily, as well as flexing those points, which easily make a Y, some trimming also appears to be possible - useful for getting correct track centres when laying crossovers, and avoiding excessive length of throats and ladders.

Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:22 pm The challenge of compression without loss of realism! I've recently been wrestling with a plan to try to fit most of the features of a country station into an eight foot length when the true scale would be nearer thirteen feet. It isn't easy.

Luckily, as well as flexing those points, which easily make a Y, some trimming also appears to be possible - useful for getting correct track centres when laying crossovers, and avoiding excessive length of throats and ladders.
Hmmm looks like further discussion with yourself and red leader may be in order! ;)

As promised, photos of the station site after asking permission a week ago.
DSC01065.jpg
DSC01050.jpg
DSC01053.jpg
DSC01062.jpg
The former coal drops are still used my our local coal merchant (interesting how some traditions carry on after so many years). I'd be interested if anyone has any ideas how different the coal drops are now to how they would have been (I've not found any photos of how they were in steam days), although I do suspect they are at their original height....I don't think it was a massive embankment.
Tom Foster
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Not specifically to do with Askrigg but part of the Wenselydale line (as I understand).

Some years back I had read that a model railway club somewhere in Wensleydale had moved their layout to the old Aysgarth station, not that far from Askrigg. Each time I had visited previously was on a weekday and the (closed) station and access was shut off. However last year when we revisited (on a Saturday) the gates were open and the first thing we noticed was a building with a sign 'Station For Sale - Going Cheap', or words to that effect. A gentleman greeted us, offered to show us around but more importantly displayed a rather 'resigned' demeanour because that very day the entire complex (tracks both still in place and some lifted), 2 platforms plus 6 - 7 buildings) had sold to a 'developer' for a 'mere'' GBP300.000! He was more 'annoyed' than resigned as his club (which may have been a more historic rather than railway model club), had raised approx 1/2 of this amount but the sale had gone ahead without (behind 'closed doors') them being involved (or invited to participate) in the negotiations.

Thought may be of interest (and apologies for any errors but this was the impression we were left with).

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

Hi Graeme

I was involved for a time with the model of Aysgarth Station which was situated in the waiting room shelter on the down platform. The layout wasn't bad, but somewhat dated (the card buildings had begun to warp). I don't know what's happened to the layout.

Sadly stock wasn't as prototypical as I would have liked, which is one of reason I left the group.

G5 pre ordered, J21 kit being picked up from a certain Scottiedog of this parish....and plans to pick a D20 up at some point from North Eastern kits.

Hoping to obtain a K1 from York. :)
Tom Foster
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Welcome back Tom. I am sorry to hear of your father's passing, my sincerest condolences.