GN six wheel brakevan

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

GN six wheel brakevan

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I've just noticed that Oxford Rail have introduced a six wheel toad brakevan, not having any interest in anything GWR, I didn't even know that they did a six wheel brakevan, having this available opens up the possibility of making a GN six wheel brake, Any thoughts on the outcome.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: GN six wheel brakevan

Post by Atso »

Hi Manna,

I've consulted my copy of 'Great Western Wagon Plans' and found that the toad brake van has a wheelbase of 6'6 by 6'6 and an overall length over the headstocks of 20'. This would be pretty good for a GCR six wheel brake but (I think) somewhat long for a GNR version.

While I don't have any drawings for the GNR six wheel brake van, it appears to be about the same size as the four wheel version with an overall wheelbase of c. 10'. Don't quote me on those figures though.
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Ahh well, just a thought, still, with a couple of clean cuts it's not impossible to shorten the chassis.

A 6'6" x 6'6" x 6'6" chassis would be good for a GN tender ??? :lol:

manna
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Morning all (too bad to say good)

There is a GNR 6 wheel brakevan detailed with a drawing in Taplow's LNER wagons.

There was also an 8 wheel brakevan, which was produced as a kit by D&S models.

I produced the superstructure using a Silhouette cutter, but over did the solvent and the thin sides warped. The 8 wheel chassis is OK; made from brass with Comet W-irons and sliding axles for the end axles. I shall have to remake the superstructure at some time, and be careful with the solvent.

6'6"+6'6" is also good for GCR tenders. Comet do a kit for such a chassis.

Earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Atso wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:17 am Hi Manna,

I've consulted my copy of 'Great Western Wagon Plans' and found that the toad brake van has a wheelbase of 6'6 by 6'6 and an overall length over the headstocks of 20'. This would be pretty good for a GCR six wheel brake but (I think) somewhat long for a GNR version.
The GCR 6-wheeler has a wheelbase of 6' 6" + 6' 6" and an overall length over buffers of 23' 6", which makes it very possible. Drawing in July 1976 MRC.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for your replies, a GC brakevan, would be a little different on a GN layout, future project maybe.

The other thought I had was a Thompson BZ six wheel parcels van, with a bit of modification of course ??

manna