In defense of OS Nock

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Captain Cuttle
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: In defense of OS Nock

Post by Captain Cuttle »

Does anyone know of the book Giner mentioned? I can't find online a Nock book in landscape format called Locomotives Of The LNER, but I'm interested in getting a copy of a book with drawings & official of LNER locos as Giner described.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I have a copy that fits the bill. You may wish to PM me
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Not what you are referring to Captain Cuttle but I have an old paperback condensed size copy of a O.S.Nock book that I bought back in the early 1970s called LNER STEAM that features a rather nice colour picture on the front cover of the front end of a Gresley Pacific that is carrying the Flying Scotsman headboard possibly at Peasecliff north of Grantham.

See the original hard back copy below-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LNER-Steam-S-N ... B0006BVS1S
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Mickey,

The illustration of 4476 is north of Peascliff Tunnel. With the Up Flying Scotsman.

There was a signal box at one time, called Belton I think.

John
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Thanks John. Yes I remember looking at that illustration and thinking (and guessing?) that it was possibly in the Peasecliff area north of Grantham as it's shown as being on a double-track section but my route knowledge of the GN/LNER/BR(ER) has always become a bit sketchy once north of Peterborough North station.

Belton. Yes I have seen an old photograph of Belton s/box with the box it's self being situated along side the Up line on the double-track section.

With regards to O.S.Nock himself I personally always liked his railway books, that man knew a great deal about railways without a doubt and I also remember hearing of his death back in 1994 (or 1995?).