Dart Castings/MJT components

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Dart Castings/MJT components

Post by Graeme Leary »

Finally getting on to my adaptation of underframes as supplied with Hornby RTR teak coaches I'm using for the Wizard triplet kit (and eventually all my Hornby teak coaches). I am aware that these RTR frames are prototypically incorrect and I intend to (eventually) correct/replace all the 'fault's but now having finished the grained teak paint job, the next challenge is fitting Dart Castings/MJT 2811 Battery Boxes.

I have removed the plastic boxes that are part of the Hornby coach moulding and (working from various drawings provided by Forum members) am about to fix Dart's MJT 2811 Battery boxes, Probably bleedin' obvious but these appear to be just the 'face' (outside) side of the boxes and I'd appreciate confirmation of this.

Also that the handles moulded into the boxes should be on the top side when fixed, ie suggesting the lids open 'downwards' (my rationale is that this way there is better fixing with moulded handles to the top, as the tops are twice as wide as the bottoms so there is double the thickness to glue on to the underframes. (Sorry, the 'solderers' among you - MJT's white metal components to Hornby's plastic moulding just wouldn't work).

Appreciate any clarification (and you no doubt will have further 'help please' when I get on to the trusses, dynamos, vacuum cylinders etc).

Graeme
New Zealand
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Dart Castings/MJT components

Post by jwealleans »

MJT 2811 - the man himself may well comment here - have a stepped in section. This is the part which should be hidden behind the solebar - the top as you look at the finished vehicle. The etched support frame runs along the bottom with two hanging straps vertically at each end, enclosing the box.

There are no backs on these, nor, from memory is there a 'top', but the front, sides and bottom of the cast part are present, if that helps orient it.

Were there no instructions with them?
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Here are some pics that may help you Graeme.
1st two are early type, then late type.
Attachments
Early Cell Box
Early Cell Box
Early Cell Box
Early Cell Box
Late Cell Box
Late Cell Box
Late Cell Box
Late Cell Box
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

A couple more, and some with the top flap open.

Hope these help.

sorry if they are upside down for you people below the equator, you can always stand on your head.
Attachments
Late Cell Box
Late Cell Box
top open
top open
top open
top open
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Jonathon and Dave - really clears things up (and no instructions supplied Jonathon, just a neat little zip top plastic bag with the items). Now, where is that CA glue?
Graeme
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Oops (and thanks) Jonathon, Just googled 2811 instructions and there they were. Hopefully clear enough for a non techno like myself to follow.
Graeme