'Fox' Bogie at Tanfield

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Re: 'Fox' Bogie at Tanfield

Post by drmditch »

West_Stanley wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:32 am Thanks for bringing us those photographs. Are all the coaches we see of NER origin? Is the newly restored coach - in NCB livery - seen on the railway on Sunday also of NER origin? Do all of the coaches (in the photograph) seen in a long line at Beamish still exist? If all of them are ex-NER, then surely they're considered to be of huge historical importance. They are in my book.

It was nice seeing a newly restored coach, but at the same time, a little disappointing that it wasn't restored to original NER specification, though I appreciate that may have been a big ask
As far as I could see, the underframe used welded angle construction, and I didn't recognise the bogies.
(Please correct me anyone if I am wrong.)
How much of the 'new' coach is of Colliery/NCB origin and how much a good way to produce a viable vehicle for the Tanfield Railway of today I don't know.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

At last after several attempts I've managed to put together the following selection of dropbox photos of not only the Fox Bogies of the title. But also the carriages and the really sad state they're in. What's more the clerestory in the last photo is the genuine 818. The restored clerestory being accidentally give the wrong number. Interestingly you'll note one axlebox has acquired an L.M.S cover on one axle, whilst keeping a North Eastern cover on the other. I'm not off hand sure where the restored "818" or the other as far as I know unrestored arc roofed are at the moment. There are also quite a selection of grounded mainly N.E. bodies plus one or two others from the likes of the M.S.&.L./G.C.R

https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/My-Paper- ... W8os9OLivW
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I think one of the Tanfield bodies is currently at Lionheart on the AVR.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

52D wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:19 pm I think one of the Tanfield bodies is currently at Lionheart on the AVR.
You may be thinking of ....this one...

I have a project to make one of these.
So many intentions, so little progress!
West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

So......

There are five coaches (and a snow plough) in ArthurK's photograph taken at Beamish in the 1970's. One of the clerestory roofed vehicles has been restored by Beamish and still resides there. A clerestory and an elliptical roofed coach (from that photo) are in unrestored condition at Tanfield, according to a Tanfield volunteer. What has happened to the other two? Maybe they're at Tanfield, too. Are all of the coaches on their original bogies & underframes?

When I mentioned the "newly restored coach," I actually meant the one that is new to traffic at Tanfield and in NCB livery. From what I understand, it is not one of the Beamish Five and it resides on a shortened GWR underframe. The coach body served as a holiday home in the south of England for several decades and it cost the owner a sizeable amount of money to restore. Is this coach body of NER origin?

*The Tanfield volunteer was not specifying the coaches on ArthurK's photo, he merely told me (some time ago) that two coaches came from Beamish as they were surplus to requirements and would have otherwise have been broken up; Fox bogies and all. But I am assuming that the two coaches he told me about are on that photograph, unless (in the unlikely event) they had two more tucked away somewhere
West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

I've just compared member 2392's recent photographs posted on Dropbox with those of ArthurK's posted 40 years earlier at Beamish. Four decades of outside storage has caused those coaches to deteriorate rapidly. One of the officials at Tanfield mentioned something of building a large storage facility to cover their rolling stock. For me, that can't come soon enough
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

West_Stanley wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:00 am I've just compared member 2392's recent photographs posted on Dropbox with those of ArthurK's posted 40 years earlier at Beamish. Four decades of outside storage has caused those coaches to deteriorate rapidly. One of the officials at Tanfield mentioned something of building a large storage facility to cover their rolling stock. For me, that can't come soon enough
Certainly brings a tear to the eye. Looking at Arthurk's shots the stock look positively ex works, compared to mine! In turn these photos remind me of a short rake 2-4 of similarly derelict stock stood on the Harton sidings beside the Newcastle-South Shields [now Tyne & Wear Metro] line at Tyne Dock that dives down and through the short curved tunnel there. These siding I think were the stump of the colliery lines that went over "Tyne Dock Arches" that crossed over one of the main roads into South Shields, for the Staithes. Oh! to have saved those carriages too.......
Last edited by 2392 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

West_Stanley wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:28 am
When I mentioned the "newly restored coach," I actually meant the one that is new to traffic at Tanfield and in NCB livery. From what I understand, it is not one of the Beamish Five and it resides on a shortened GWR underframe. The coach body served as a holiday home in the south of England for several decades and it cost the owner a sizeable amount of money to restore. Is this coach body of NER origin?

Yes. See It is NER Composite 2853 and entry on Carriage register here:

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org ... p?Ref=6017

Now restored as NCB A15 (next number in series).
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Of the Beamish five, one was destroyed, I believe in an arson attack where a number of items were lost. One NER clerestory was restored but now needs work and is in the undercover sidings at Beamish. One NER elliptical is unrestored and in the undercover sidings at Beamish. The other NER clerestory and elliptical are both unrestored and stored outside in the to-do list at Tanfield
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask