Garden cities and Cambridge buffet express

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ralphw
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Garden cities and Cambridge buffet express

Post by Ralphw »

Dear All
Could anyone tell me a typical formation for the above “beer train” in the mid 30s.
I’ve seen pictures of the gresley GNR open 3rd converted to the buffet car and Isinglass have a drawing for this but what types of coach would go either side. Ideally I’m looking for a 5-6 coach train not the original 3 coach or the later 8 plus.
I’ve read 2 magazine articles but they don’t mention the types of coaches and I’m not informed enough to interpret photographs. Steve Banks book has eluded me so far (and the local library).
Many thanks
Ralph Webb
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Garden cities and Cambridge buffet express

Post by JASd17 »

Hi Ralph,

A formation from the September 1935 GN Section Carriage Working Book:

12.40pm Down SX.

Corridor Third GN Diagram 248D.
Corridor Third GN Diagram 248D.
Corridor Composite GN Diagram 164K.
Buffet Car GN Diagram 229 conversion. No.43131.
Corridor Brake Third GN Diagram 257.
Corridor Composite GN Diagram 164K.

The formations at this time were not standard, therefore other sets had a different make-up.

The train had 2 extra carriages on Saturdays.

From information I have to hand from some 1935 spotting books, a 5 or 6 carriage formation was typical.

Hope this helps,

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Most of the carriages or very similar diagrams are available from Kemilway or Wizard Models in the RDEB range.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Colour picture of what is claimed to be this train in WGC up platform in 1937, in 'The Big Four in Colour'. D16/2 in very pretty condition, the four ex-GN coaches following looking rather dowdy. Since the route was tunnel intensive KX-Knebworth the condition of the coaches is probably not too surprising. (In the same book a 1938 picture showing about 6 feet of the side of a Gresley buffet car at Cambridge, also grubby, with enough of the roof board on view to identify it as in a GC&C buffet express formation.)
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The other type of Buffet Car used around this time was a conversion of Open Third Diagram JS9, particularly No. 43136.

The D229 Buffet conversions reverted to Open Thirds in 1936, according to Harris.

John
Ralphw
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Ralphw »

Dear All
Many thanks for all the helpful replies.
I now have drawings from Isinglass for for all the carriages that you suggested John, including the later Buffet conversion.
Regards
Ralph
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Ralph,

I hope you enjoy modelling a characterful set of carriages.

Regards,

John