Quads Refreshed

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Norfolkman
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Quads Refreshed

Post by Norfolkman »

D1593C7B-83D5-4AB9-A6E3-4A1896696B3E.jpeg
After a two month refresh including repairs to roof leaks, repainting of the roofs (3 coats each), revarnishing, repainting of the compartments, and reblocking, the LNER Quad Art set poses for ‘ex-works’ photos on Monday 25th June 2018.
drmditch

Re: Quads Refreshed

Post by drmditch »

Splendid. Thank you.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Marvellous.

Will they be in regular service for next week's Story of Suburban Travel Week? Which locos are running too? Other than the dates and title, I can find nothing at all about the event on the NNR website......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Bugger....I was there the other week, so thats why I did not see them. I will have to make another trip as they look very good.
Norfolkman
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Norfolkman »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 am Marvellous.

Will they be in regular service for next week's Story of Suburban Travel Week? Which locos are running too? Other than the dates and title, I can find nothing at all about the event on the NNR website......
Plans for Suburban Travel Week - one Mk1 set plus one an historic set each day and the Met Camm 101. Monday and Tuesday sees the Vintage train out so expect the Y14. Wednesday and Thursday it is the Quads so expect the N2, Friday and Saturday is Mk1 Suburbans so expect 76084. Not sure what will be on Mk1s but B12 and 9F are available. In addition this Sunday is the Vintage Transport event with Mk1 set, Quads, Vintage train and Met Camm 101 in service. Expect N2, Y14, and Class 20. All of the above were the plans as of yesterday but obviously subject to changes if stock/motive power becomes unavailable.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Beautiful job done there.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Norfolkman wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:02 pm
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 am Marvellous.

Plans for Suburban Travel Week - one Mk1 set plus one an historic set each day and the Met Camm 101. Monday and Tuesday sees the Vintage train out so expect the Y14. Wednesday and Thursday it is the Quads so expect the N2, Friday and Saturday is Mk1 Suburbans so expect 76084. Not sure what will be on Mk1s but B12 and 9F are available. In addition this Sunday is the Vintage Transport event with Mk1 set, Quads, Vintage train and Met Camm 101 in service. Expect N2, Y14, and Class 20. All of the above were the plans as of yesterday but obviously subject to changes if stock/motive power becomes unavailable.
Thanks, very informative. I wonder if I can squeeze in a visit on Wednesday?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

If I recall correctly a full rake of two sets of these coupled together with a Guard's/Brake compartment at each end. However, where they were coupled together (i.e. passenger compartment to passenger compartment) do I recall that they were closer coupled together with shorter buffers and coupling gear than normal? If so, has this set had the 'short' buffers and drawer replaced by 'normal' length ones in preservation?
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The drawings seem to confirm that the outer thirds to diagram 75 and 75A did have shorter buffers.

The Brake Thirds had standard 1' 10" buffers.

Something to do with length restrictions at Moorgate perhaps?

John
Norfolkman
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Norfolkman »

In answer to the query about whether the set retains short buffers, it doesn’t. As I understand it from people involved at the time, they were removed by BR to enable the preserved set to be removed from the scrap line where it had been paired with the other half of the set. It arrived on the NNR with a heavy duty set of wagon buffers on the inner end. When the set was restored the opportunity was taken to remove the life expired wagon buffers and fit GNR style coach buffers to the inner ends to match the outer end.
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

I guessed that some modification would have been necessary so thanks for the confirmation.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

The 'inner' carriage of the 4-car set had buffers that projected only 10.5" from the headstock, rather than the usual 1' 10".

See Harris' 'LNER Standard Gresley Carriages', Mallard, pp133 (Diag. 71) and 134 (upper photograph).