Departmental 6 wheeler 940481

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Departmental 6 wheeler 940481

Post by john coffin »

When checking details of a loco, carriage or wagon, I try to see if I can find photos dated around the same time.
We do not yet know the date of the original picture that Jonathan posted, so we cannot be sure whether things
changed during the move to the LMR in 1954.

Even drawings don't always help.

One thing that does confuse me is why there are no handholds on the roof by the ladder.
Paul
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

john coffin wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:21 amOne thing that does confuse me is why there are no handholds on the roof by the ladder.
Paul
If you look on the original picture and the second one that Micky posted you will see there are (probably tubular steel) handrails about 1/2 way between the cornice and the centreline of the roof. They do seem a long way in to me but it would be possible to reach them from near the top of the ladders.

What I don't get is that it was obviously desired to get onto the roof, but there is no level platform for working. This would make it fairly useless especially to reach anything to the side of the carriage. That suggests to me it was only used as a way of looking at things.

The high end windows suggest they wanted to look up (more up than normal) and the ladders, fixed and portable, also suggest they wanted to look at something above normal height.

Could it be for the civil engineers to inspect over track bridges?

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

940481 - from the diagram

Inspection Saloon
Engineers - Colwick

ex No 43912

Southern Area

District Engineer Nottingham

The is also an internal plan
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

There is a photo of it in the Doncaster collection; taken against the dreaded white wall!

I may well have a copy of it.