LNER C12 routes used.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jakesdad13
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER C12 routes used.

Post by Jakesdad13 »

Hi, I have built a model of a C12 and as I haven't numbered it yet, I was wondering if anyone knew whether they were seen in North Derbyshire, specifically in the Chesterfield area?
I don't know if I've dreamed it, but I think I have seen a photo of one on shed at Staveley GC shed?

Thanks for your time.

Regards Pete.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: LNER C12 routes used.

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

I wonder whether they were ever used on the Lincoln - Chesterfield Market Place services on the LDEC line.
Jakesdad13
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Jakesdad13 »

Pyewipe Junction wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:33 pm I wonder whether they were ever used on the Lincoln - Chesterfield Market Place services on the LDEC line.
Thanks Pyewipe, I hadn't thought of that. There is a facebook site dedicated that line. I will have a look on there.
Cheer's mate.

Peter.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Pre Grouping. initially the C12 was used over the London Suburban area, but after 1907 they started to be moved out because of the N1
After the First War, the N1's started to be cascaded because of the N2's so the C12's moved out into Nottingham as well as Leeds and Bradford.

Upon Grouping only 5 were left in the London area, all at Hatfield. Lincoln had 2, Colwick 9, West Riding 25, Boston 6, New England 6,
Grantham 5 and Louth 3.

Apparently throughout the LNER era, two C12's were used as Banking engines at Peterborough, whilst two others were used at Stamford
for the Essendine branch. A number of C12's were at New Holland for the Barton service during 1932-3.

10 were sent to Hull Botanic Gardens to work the branches to Hornsea, Withernsea and other places. By 1935 a total of 16 were in Hull.
in 1935, Hornsey had 1, Hitchin 1, New England 8, Grnatham 2, Boston 3, Louth 3, Lincoln 1, Colwick 6, West Riding 17, Parkeston 1, Peterborugh East 1, and Hull 16. In 1937, two were sent to Yarmouth Beach for use on the M&GN.

10 were scrapped between 1937-1939. Although by then some had gone to Manchester Trafford Park, travelling as far as Chester
and Guid Bridge.

In 1945 they were spread as follows New England 7, Grantham 2, Boston 1, Louth 6, Lincoln 3, Copley Hill 7 Hull 9,
Langwith 6, Trafford Park 4, Cambridge 4, Melton Constable 1.
In 1948 5 were fitted with Push Pull gear, two worked the Finsbury Park, Alexandra Palace Line, whilst others went to
Bulwell Common to work the Annesley "Dido" workman's trains. The fifth one was at Kings Cross for a service to South Lynn.

In the past one might well glibly have said "it's in the RCTS Green Books", however it now time to recognise that these books are
getting rarer, so it is up to those of us who have them to ensure that the data gets back out there.
HTH

Paul
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Happy to say, I got most of mine off of E-Bay, they come on there fairly regularly. But you have to be patient.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Well, with three allocated to Lincoln and six to Langwith in 1945, it's more than possible that one may have strayed as far as Staveley. I wonder why Langwith needed six? For services from Edwinstowe and Mansfield to Nottingham, perhaps?

The Lincoln to Chesterfield service was hauled by quite a miscellany of locos - C13s, H2s and even an ex-LTSR 3P Tilbury Tank in the early days of BR, so it wouldn't surprise me if C12s weren't used from time to time.