Above York Track Plan

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Above York Track Plan

Post by x568wcn »

(Easy short Subject really!)

Now to expand!

I'm looking for plans of either, Shipton By Beningbrough, Tollerton or Alne Stations, if they had anything other than the tracks straight through!
Or all 3 so I can choose what to roughly model!

Mark T
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Mark.

I know that Alne had an interesting track layout. Initially it had 2 main through lines which were expanded to 4 on the upgrading of the ECML. Alne had a good shed on the west side of the line which still stands. On the east side was the bay platform for the independant Easingwold Railway, this ran trains along the short branch to Easingwold. At Alne there were exchange sidings with the mainline just beyond the bay platform under the overbridge which crosses the railway.
The Oakwood Press have a book on the Easingwold Railway which I think (from a hopeless memory) that has a trackplan of Alne.
I have the book and will check it out this evening and post a reply - unless anyone beats me to it.....
I can't comment though on Shipton-by-Benningbrough or Tollerton though.

Andy
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I found this one here http://www.transportdiversions.com/publ ... pubid=1160 but it is out of stock, and so I've got one from ABEbooks.co.uk http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookD ... 0853614135
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Mark.
The book has a trackplan of Alne from 1911 with only 2 mainlines running through the station. There is a goods yard, ubiquitous coal drops and exchange sidings for the Easingwold Railway. I have scanned the trackplan but it is a bit big 500K, but I could send it to you if you wish. But if you are getting the book, you may want to wait.
It's a good read. I have tried to find remains of the railway, but most of it has now disappeared.

Andy
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I'll have to pay it a visit on Saturday, and see what's there for a start.
I found the website but there isn't that much about Alne http://www.easingwold-railway.co.uk/

But one thing I now need to find out. When did the ECML go from 2 tracks to 4 tracks, I want to do the late 30's era.

Thanks for your help Andy, it sounds an interesting proposition, I just might have to have a longer board to give a longer straight, my 4ft 8 doesn't give a very long straight by the time I'm on the 4th track!

Mark T
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Hmmm...Alne (orn) is a big Station, and covers around 4 furlongs (2640 ft), and it won't fit in to 4ft 8 (inc. end curves!)

I now have a dilemmer.

I like my big LNER fast trains running quickly past, or I can leave them going all day!

But Easingwold Station looks a great one to do, a simple one track in dead end, with 4 goods sidings, the one platform (with run round loop) and a little bit in to the engine shed.

I could run specials in to the station, but it would still take up a lot of space, and I would need a No.2, and for those who don't know what No, 2 is like me (I hadn't heard of it a week ago!)

AAAGH :x I don't know what to do now.

(I can only build one layout due to space, and have looked at putting it in a circle of main line, but this wouldn't be right.

Big major choice, I could give it a go, as I want to re model anyhow.

Hmmm..
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Didn't the Easingwold loan an 0-6-0T from the NER in its later days?

It would be easier to find - and more accurate alongside LNER fast passenger stuff.
Let me see what I can find...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Hmm, I was out by about 30 years...

Easingwold's No. 2 survived until 1947!
Hudswell 0-6-0ST, standard 13in design - popular with contractors and other light railways.

After No. 2 was scrapped, LNER/BR loaned them a J71 or J72. These were old and dirty looking compared to No. 2, and were too large to fit in the railway's engine shed!

Source: "Railway Byways in Yorkshire" by Ronald Nelson Redman, Dalesman 1979.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Yeah, No. 2 was scrapped at Darlington 47/48

They then had J71/72s but I would like No.2 (there was once a No.1) as it was the stalwart of the Railway (most pictures in the book have No.2 hauling!

And As I'm typing...I might aswell stop as you've bet me to it!

The NRM has one of No.2s builders plates, but I won't really know what I'm looking for!

:roll:
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

What scale are you working with? There's probably a good chance of a 4mm kit.

For N, you'll probably have to kit bash something - perhaps one of those out-of-production Peco loco kits?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

N, and I've not built a loco yet, and made a right mess of the snowplough!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

H Mark.
Another suggestion for you just to make the decision more difficult......

Have you condsidered joining a group of modellers who make modular layouts. Each member makes a module in multiples of 4' long which ar usually 2' wide. Each module has 3 tracks running along the front of the module, 2 tracks for the mainline a 1 for the feed to the individual modules. Each modeller makes his/her own module which can be operated at home, and one a month say, the group meet and join the modules together - giving a chance to runlong trains on the mainlines.

If you went down the module route, you could model Easingwold terminus and still have your express trains running on the mainline.

There is an N gauge modular group in Yorkshire, who meet regularly near Knaresborough. They have very wide ranging interests, from american diesels in the 1950s to 1930s GWR.Although I am not involved, I know someone who is. So if you are interested I can find out some contact details and let you know.

Andy
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Mark:

re. kitbashing, I know how you feel :-)
I have mixed success with kits, and for wagon kits I'm coming to the conclusion that I should buy an extra one "to work out how it should go together". (eg. NGS and Chivers kits - the Peco ones are very easy to put together)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Too late Andy, I've got a sort of Easingwold now, quick as a flash, in a couple of hours, need locos now, as I only have the 2, the LNER J94 and the LNER generic saddle tank, but I do have an early and late BR Pair of J94s, if I can remove the decals and relivery...need Easingwold Ry Co. decals now (If anyone knows how or where I can get them as they won't be very widely made!)

As for the Railway all but gone...I did some research.

Google Earth is rubbish (round here), multimap do aerial mapping, but on the yellow pages site, it looks better, and so I serched for radomly 'Butchers' in 'Easingwold' then scrolled round, and came up with an image so huge, I've had to link to it!

See what you can see on it!!

http://www.easingwold.steamrailways.com/easingwold.asp
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk