Mallard Record-Breaking run in July 1938 - coaching stock query

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Mallard Record-Breaking run in July 1938 - coaching stock query

Post by 52D »

jwealleans wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 pm Maybe only twice with Mallard, but I’m sure the NER didn’t go to the trouble and expense of building it for the benefit of the LNER 25 years in the future.

Its regular use over its career would make an interesting study, I daresay.
Yes JW it was a well used vehicle, among the tests it recorded was the AW diesel between Heaton and Tweedmouth and in NBR territory just before the grouping it was tested with a Q6 i think and a GWR 2-8-0 as the NBR were looking to design and build a heavy freight loco for the coal trade.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Art Dent
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Art Dent »

Thanks for all the interesting stuff folks.

I'm now wondering what the coaching stock was when the exchange trials happened.

Did the dynamometer car ever run with Gresley maroon & cream liveried stock (apologies if the colour wasn't called maroon) such as this example: http://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows. ... _cat_1.jpg

Art
You are never to old to spend money, learn new things or play trains!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Crimson and cream (or blood and custard) although some interpretations of it are very close to maroon.

The LNER were building a new dynamometer car when war started and ISTR the NER one was retired fairly shortly after the locomotive exchanges. It may have been used with stock in that livery but not frequently if at all would be my guess.
LNER4489
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by LNER4489 »

On the make up of the coaches behind the dynamometer car, I wasn't able to find the Norman Newsome paper referred to earlier.
However, there are some poor still images in the video "Mallard the Drake's progress"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NJXeb8rYko

If you go to 7.35 to 7.39 the consist looks to me to be ...
Dynamometer car, 5 bay brake-kitchen 3rd pair, FO-FO pair, third open-4 bay brake pair.

Tom
PS If the you tube link doesn't work, the clip is at slightly different times on different versions of the video available on line.
Last edited by LNER4489 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Re -reading certain data that I have access to, the Mallard run had the DYNO car plus 3 pairs from the Coronation spare set.
I don't know which ones but I would doubt they would have used the kitchen coaches on a "brake test" train.

paul
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

LNER4489 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 pmIf you go to 7.35 to 7.39 the consist looks to me to be ...
Dynamometer car, 5 bay brake-kitchen 3rd pair, FO-FO pair, third open-4 bay brake pair.
I have had a really close look at the first picture that neildimmer posted in this link viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12774

I have absolutely no-doubt that behind the dynomometer car the first pair is the 5 bay brake 3rd kitchen (cars A & B of the set)
The next pair has 6 equally spaced windows on each of the two cars - this can only be the FO-FO (cars C & D)
The only one I cannot positively identify is the last pair, however there is enough evidence in the picture that I am happy it is the 4 bay brake 3rd (cars G & H)
The clincher for me is that the last carriage seems to have very few obvious window ventilators which is consistent with the smaller saloon/larger brake compartment of this pair.

Going back to an earlier post about which carriage set it is.The first carriage of the first pair is reasonably clear, if it does have 'Coronation' written on it it has not come out in this particular picture. However I admit it does look like there is some sort of shading at waist level on the other five carriages.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

JASd17 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:13 pm Alan,

I believe the Hoather images taken on that day do not support the F A S Brown claim.

They clearly show 'Coronation' on the carriage sides.

John
Not having much time to look on the internet recently it took me some time before I found the images you were referring to https://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk ... hotographs

Strangely in some images the 'Coronation' does not show (including the one I was looking at earlier) though in the ones it does they are plainly all part of the same sequence.

Well at least I only need one set of carriages for the Coronation and the record set.... :)

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
LNER4489
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by LNER4489 »

Seagull wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:41 pm
LNER4489 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:53 pmIf you go to 7.35 to 7.39 the consist looks to me to be ...
I have had a really close look at the first picture that neildimmer posted in this link viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12774

I have absolutely no-doubt that behind the dynomometer car the first pair is the 5 bay brake 3rd kitchen (cars A & B of the set)
The next pair has 6 equally spaced windows on each of the two cars - this can only be the FO-FO (cars C & D)
The only one I cannot positively identify is the last pair, however there is enough evidence in the picture that I am happy it is the 4 bay brake 3rd (cars G & H)
The clincher for me is that the last carriage seems to have very few obvious window ventilators which is consistent with the smaller saloon/larger brake compartment of this pair.

Going back to an earlier post about which carriage set it is.The first carriage of the first pair is reasonably clear, if it does have 'Coronation' written on it it has not come out in this particular picture. However I admit it does look like there is some sort of shading at waist level on the other five carriages.

Alan
Thanks Alan. The panning shot of the broadside of the train in the Drakes' Progress video posted earlier shows the last carriage as one of the brakes for certain, which also looks to have 4 bays, articulated with a coach that is not a kitchen. So this supports your conclusion from the front three quarter photos that you referred to that it is the 4 bay brake and third pair at the north end.
Tom
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks In order to tie down when the Dynamometer Car lost the Westinghouse brake cylinder, are there any details in the records of the use of the car with Westinghouse ONLY brake locos and stock or to evaluate Westinghouse brakes. The NER stopped using this brake on new stock before 1923, so it seems, and so this cylinder may have been removed in NER days. I only know of one NER period photo in NER Record Vol 2 and this is undated but clearly shows evidence of the cylinder. Are there any other pictures of the car in NER days ?? especially from the other side to see if the original GA, which does not show the large battery box, is only a partial drawing.