Bittern at Margate

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Bittern at Margate

Post by Kestrel »

drmditch

Re: Bittern at Margate

Post by drmditch »

Thank you for the link. For how long has Bittern been in LNER blue with no skirts?
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

. . . and with a plaque on the side? Is there a tell tale paler blue to the right of the name plate which gives the impression a longer name plate has been there?
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

Circa 2011/12 she masquerade as DoNZ in full empire livery, and kept the garter blue once the name plates were removed. The chrome work then was used in the refurb of DoC prior to the great gathering

The plaque is to commemorate her doing the 3x 90mph runs , which was at the time the fastest steam hauled passenger train post '68
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Didn't the UoSA use another name in the 70s/80s when there was opposition to anything relating to South Africa? I remember people were discouraged from eating Kitkats.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Kestrel wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:17 am Didn't the UoSA use another name in the 70s/80s when there was opposition to anything relating to South Africa? I remember people were discouraged from eating Kitkats.
Osprey.

Sawdust.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Thanks Dust of the Saw variety. Just couldn't remember. My memory is not as good as it was.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

I was talking to John Cameron about this a few weeks ago. IIRC the name was changed,reluctantly , to Osprey, but went back to Union asap.
I am seeing him next months so will get it 100% correct and repost