A1 Trust New Build Steam

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A1 Trust New Build Steam

Post by 65447 »

Mercator II wrote:The choice currently is down to two options, either Carmine & Cream or Teak. The later is favoured. Now this is where it gets interesting, when asked re fading, Mark said not a problem, been mk3 it won't be painted but over laid with vinyl covers. This gives an option for a full teak effect or scumbled ala Thompson
No such official livery as Carmine and Cream, but it so happens that the NE Area Newcastle Electric Sets were painted in imitation teak then red and cream before being 'toned down' during WW2 to blue and cream. Imitation teak was also used at first for the railcars, which were treated as coaching stock for livery purposes, then red and cream and finally green and cream.

To have teak with full imitation beading on a vinyl wrap (with wraparound ends) on a smooth-sided steel coach will look daft, but with Allatt's dismissal of all things Thompson the post-war unadorned imitation teak alternative is unlikely to find favour with him.

Teak went perfectly with the GN and LNER green locomotive liveries, while Crimson (Lake) and Cream complemented the early BR green. The 'Coronation' blue livery needs a blue locomotive as does the 'Silver Jubilee' need a silver locomotive.

However using a wrap is not new; Rexine was used on the outside of streamlined sets.

It's his train set, so rule 1 no doubt applies.
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

i personally don't agree with vinyl wrapped teak as a coach livery. I recall seeing a picture of what looked like a southern slam-door set in vinyl-wrapped teak that looked IMHO tacky and cheap, rather than evoking an image of days gone by. :x

I feel a painted "teak" brown, like on non-passenger coaching stock and Thompson's metal-bodied coaching stock would be a much more sensible option.

I would preferably go with coronation livery, as it's much more eye catching on modern coaching stock than an orangey-reddish-brown and it suits the streamliner look of MK 3 stock
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Looks very smart!
Nova

Post by Nova »

found a picture of the set I was on about, needless to say it does not suit metal bodied stock
someone send that and the photoshoped 125 to the P2SLC so they can pass it around to members so they have an idea of what it they actually look like before blindly committing to an idea based purely on the fact the LNER ran teak coaches :x

While we're at it for the sake of balance, what about tourist livery, because someone mentioned them being seen as drab or dull, I think not

I do like the dark brown ends though, I'll have to experiment with that on thompson coaching stock on my layout....when it gets built, any ideas as to what shade it is?
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

Nova

Post by Nova »

2392 wrote:That statement isn't as outragous as it may appear, in so much as there was a batch or two of the "classic" Gresley teaks turned out with steel rather than timber skins. They looked ok in the scumbled and painted beaded/lined teak livery, though looked decidedly odd once painted in B.R. colours as there wasn't any genuine beading on the body.
are there any pictures, or better yet, kits of these? you've peaked my interest

GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Nova wrote:
2392 wrote:That statement isn't as outragous as it may appear, in so much as there was a batch or two of the "classic" Gresley teaks turned out with steel rather than timber skins. They looked ok in the scumbled and painted beaded/lined teak livery, though looked decidedly odd once painted in B.R. colours as there wasn't any genuine beading on the body.
are there any pictures, or better yet, kits of these? you've peaked my interest
Michael Harris' seminal book Gresley's Coaches [Coaches Built for G.N.R.,E.C.J.S. AND L.N.E.R. 1905-53] has a whole chapter [8] on the subject of Alternatives to teak 1927-43. It has a broadside [works photo?] of a Dia.28 Metro Cammell open 3rd 41463, a Cammell Laird BG 174 and an articulated pair DS195/4 45551-45552 '51 being a brake. Not sure as to the availablities of any kits off hand unfortunately :( .
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

https://www.p2steam.com/category/news/

To save on server space, take a look at these bad boy pics

If your not already onboard, sign up today and join the fun and make thus lady sing sooner

https://www.p2steam.com/the-boiler-club-2/

https://www.p2steam.com/help-build-no-2007/motion-club/

Together we can have Britons Most Powerful Locomotive along side her sister Tornado
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks for the preview Brian. Same images now received via Mikado Messenger. It really is looking very good now. I must get back to Darlington for another of the open days.

Come on everybody, get your money out........
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

More news from the team up in Darlington, looks like a possible 2026 finish if a 5 year build and start following completion if PoW

Get ready to sign up
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

A Mikado is born and shown the sun

I raise a glass to the team up at DLW, she's looking good

If this inspires any body to get on board, plenty of ways you can help make this majestic looking beauty sing
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I hope the 'Franklin B' development of the Lentz gear proves successful, it seems to have done well in service on the huge AT&SF 4-8-4. If it really excels over conventional Walschaerts/piston valve - as it should - it would be logical to plan it as an upgrade on Tornado for some future heavy overhaul. The future will probably make yet more demands on power output and efficiency in coal and water consumption, which this gear should go some way toward providing.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

First parts ordered for 3403

My guess is we will see the launch of this project at the annual AGM later this month

Think I might just have to sign up!! I have a soft spot for the V4

But more still needed for PoW too, so get those wallets out and help get her finished!!
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

https://www.a1steam.com/2019/06/21/boil ... d-a-spare/

Great news from the trust, looks like the good old days are returning to Darlington works

Still plenty of ways to get on board and make this happen sooner
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!