NER Autocar - restoration progress

This forum is for news and announcements concerning the LNER, or this website.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Autocar - restoration progress

Post by Dave »

Amazing well done, she looks wonderful.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Superb. Thank you.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Autocar Publicity wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 pm If you were by the lineside of the Embsay & Bolton Abbey Railway this Wednesday afternoon, you'd have seen something few, if any, living people have seen: an autocar running in NER livery. We took 't'owd lass' out for a run for some brake testing and (at least some of the time!) the sun was shining. So, a sneaky preview of the launch, with one of Alan Chandler's photos below.

Back to the grind, there's still work to do, despite the apparently finished appearance in the photo, and we'll have the autocoach to polish up ready for the launch/members' day next month to recreate the Poppleton Junction photo of the autocar and autocoach.
Brake test 6-9-18 (AC) ER LF.jpg
And now to finish the Auto Coach trailer too......... As for those finishing off jobs, I usually refer to them as 3 man jobs with space for a man [or woman these days] and half! When I'm showing folk, what the LNERCA are up to on the NYMR.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

And some moving pictures...

https://youtu.be/rzC8K_GavSo

The brake test again, shown around Embsay and a mile or so eastwards to Skibeden, the summit of the line (about where the footbrige is).

(Edit: The film's now updated, with less wind noise, titles and some improved editing.)
Last edited by Autocar Publicity on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Looking great Autocar P.

Hope to see you at Shipley on Saturday, with a further contribution in hand.

John
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Excellent Autocar (Simon???). Will have to leave my wife shopping (or doing the laundry) in Skipton next year and have a first hand look myself. Quite unlike anything we see out here in the colonies.
Graeme
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Fabulous..Splendid ..Well done chaps!
Amazing how much "at home" it looks
Definitely a crowd puller at the YDR when launched in to service
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Our thanks for the positive comments, whether below or F2F at Shipley this weekend. The Operations people at Embsay will be meeting soon to decide on the operating days in 2019.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Ladies and gentlemen,

The autocar is now operational.
Autopair Embsay station L.jpg
Autopair Embsay 3L.jpg
Autopair Embsay 2L.jpg
Autopair BA L.jpg
Photos courtesy of Alan Chandler. These photos were from yesterday's final test. Some more to come from today once I've sorted through.

Today we had the launch, with around 150 members, supporters, special guests and press attending. All the feedback I've heard so far has been very positive and we've had some very complimentary comments. It has been the culmination of around eight years of planning and preparation and another eight or so of practical work. The sun shone (most of the time!) and there were enough cameras and photographic equipment being used to stock a fair sized shop.

As always with restoration, there are many people to thank. I'll not try and produce a list here, but they all have our gratitude, whether they are our generous members, hands-on volunteers, 'other' volunteers from Embsay and the Great Central or have contributed in some other way. Re the latter, Sir Ron Cooke, Chair of the Yorkshire and Humber Lottery Fund Committee said today that to fund our grant, six million Lottery tickets had been sold. Six million reasons to be grateful.

This thread won't end here. We have some refinements and improvements to make to both vehicles. I hope to have some more photos and maybe a video or two from today to post, though I'll be keeping some to use in a special issue of our newsletter for next month. It may be time though to start thinking about a new thread, showing the autocar and trailer in service in their 'second life'. May they be long and prosperous ones!
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

It was a very interesting and exciting day.

The Autocar is moving off here on its first passenger carrying trip - for some considerable time.
DSC_1633 v3.jpg
John
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Congratulations!

Sawdust.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Congratulations on a great re-build, great to see it running again.

I do hope there is another project, it would be a great shame to break up a good team of tradesmen, Is there any truth in the rumor that you've found a Sentinal Railcar.............................. :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yay! And looking very smart!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The interior showing the reversible seating.
DSC_1604 v3.jpg
John
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Congratulations!