Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

Post by Atso »

(Continued from the previous page) I have been tinkering with the C1 as well during periods where I've been waiting for paint/glue to dry on other things. Still a way to go yet but here is a picture of it in its current condition.
4452.jpg
To answer the earlier question about the brass rod, they are split pins to allow an electrical connection between the loco and the tender for pickup.

I've also been slowly designing this over the last few months to make use of the Peco spare parts from their Collett goods locomotive that were obtained by Peter's Spares earlier this year - apologies for the terrible focus!
J3 4011.jpg
This one will eventually be a representation of Hitchin based J3 no. 4011. I would have liked to have modelled one of the Kings Cross based locomotives but, so far, photographs of these locomotives have proven elusive and the class is a bit of a minefield. I have plans to model a second Hitchin locomotive, 4154 which differs in the location and number of sandboxes among other things.

I'm currently on the lookout for some drawings of a Stirling 'class D' tender as I don't seem to have a set and the majority of the class seemed to have these attached (including 4011 and 4154) rather than the class B and C Ivatt types. Any help on this front would be most gratefully received.
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I continue to be impressed by your achievements in such a small scale.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The Atlantic, looks brilliant, and now a J3, Christmas is definitely coming :D :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Atso wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:35 pm I'm currently on the lookout for some drawings of a Stirling 'class D' tender as I don't seem to have a set and the majority of the class seemed to have these attached (including 4011 and 4154) rather than the class B and C Ivatt types. Any help on this front would be most gratefully received.
That's reminded me that I was going to send over the second lot of various drawings (A conversation at Ally Pally)

I'll sort them out for you.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thank you gentlemen. Some parts for the J3 were included in my Christmas list Manna so hopefully next week will be kind to the loco!
Dave S wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:48 pm That's reminded me that I was going to send over the second lot of various drawings (A conversation at Ally Pally)

I'll sort them out for you.
Dave, that is most kind of you. You might really save my 'bacon'! :lol: :lol:
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Suddenly there were two J3s (and some backheads).
J3s 4011 and 4154.jpg
Hopefully, the above picture demonstrates some of the differences between members of the class. Getting sufficient clearances to allow the wheels to turn freely without compromising on the dimensions too much was 'interesting'.

I did toy briefly with trying to make the loco chassis powered with the motor in the tender. However, I decided that getting sufficient weight over the driving wheels would be problematic at best and copped out. The drive will be supplied by a much modified Union Mills tender drive fitted with (more or less) scale wheels and a replacement 716 low revving coreless motor.

If I'm lucky, 4154's wheels will be available tomorrow and if I have (am allowed :wink: ) time, I'll assemble the loco.
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very nicely done.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:08 pm Very nicely done.
Thank you Graeme.

Will you be making the trip to Stevenage next month? If so I'll bring them along for you and 'Red Leader' to have a look at - and point out all the bits I've got wrong! :lol:

Merry Christmas one and all!
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Do you think they'll convert to 2 mm ????? :D

manna
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:44 am G'Day Gents

Do you think they'll convert to 2 mm ????? :D

manna
Possibly with some work to the body and a new chassis, but I won't be trying! As tempting as 2mm finescale is, I have far too much stock (and far too little money) to viably consider rewheeling everything. However by using Finetrax's kits some code 40 track work of a similar look to 2mm scale can be employed and that is the compromise I'll have to live with - also I can retain a 12 minimum radius curve (in the hidden areas) which would be much more difficult in the finer scale.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Christmas provided another set of wheels and coupling rods and so these were assembled and the parts for J3 no. 4154 were fettled before the locomotive was assembled. Now there are two locomotives on wheels (minus tenders).
J3s 4011 and 4154 on wheels - doc large.jpg
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

St Evenage next month is in my diary, in ink. See you there.

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:07 am St Evenage next month is in my diary, in ink. See you there.
Great, see you there! :D

J3s are now as detailed as I wish to make them before painting.
image.jpg
I like to leave items such as buffers off at this stage as it makes painting the buffer beams easier (besides I need to order some more!).
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Love to see Hornby announce a J3, on the 7th.......... :D

manna
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Preferably at a price that nobody will want to pay, featuring something that is obviously wrong (even if only a minor feature), with about twelve wires connecting loco to tender via a tight-fitting and very fiddly plug (without which the loco alone will not run) and incorporating a mechanism design that won't go into the outline of any other loco, no matter how closely related to the J3.