Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:06 am Love to see Hornby announce a J3, on the 7th.......... :D
Given that Hornby has offered NER and GER prototypes, I think that a true GNR prototype is over due - the J50/3/4 doesn't count in my view as it represents the LNER build of this locomotive.

To the best of my knowledge Heljan still hasn't released their GNR version of the O2 (was it even the GN version or the earliest LNER version?); would this leave Bachmann as being the only rtr manufacturer to have released a GNR built locomotive?
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:34 am Preferably at a price that nobody will want to pay, featuring something that is obviously wrong (even if only a minor feature), with about twelve wires connecting loco to tender via a tight-fitting and very fiddly plug (without which the loco alone will not run) and incorporating a mechanism design that won't go into the outline of any other loco, no matter how closely related to the J3.
Was that sarcasm Graeme? 8)

Regardless whether Hornby or one of the others decided to do a J3, it is highly unlikely that one will appear in N gauge any time soon. Even if somebody does, mine will still be unique. :D
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Atso, reckon you'd be right about your version of the J3 being unique.

The one thing about the J3's is there is so many variations, off the top of my head about 10 series, and then you have all the different tenders, whichever series, Hornby picked, they'd probably be wrong. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Atso wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm Was that sarcasm Graeme? 8)
I would never stoop so low.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:51 pm
Atso wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm Was that sarcasm Graeme? 8)
I would never stoop so low.....
Of course not.... 8)
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Any colour, as long as it is black...
J3s 4011 and 4154 Basic Painting.jpg
Steve
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Everyone's building 0-6-0s, what's going on. Yours are very nice 0-6-0s too. Sorry I'm late to say so, but your C1 on the previous page is outstanding.

Cheers
Paul
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

nzpaul wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:12 am Everyone's building 0-6-0s, what's going on. Yours are very nice 0-6-0s too. Sorry I'm late to say so, but your C1 on the previous page is outstanding.
Thanks Paul,

It must be the season for building 0-6-0s I guess! :lol: My own have come about due to the sudden availability of spare wheels and accessories and it would be rude not to take advantage of these.

Thank you for the kind words about the C1. Having hand lined it, I took it with me to Warley to show Ian Rathbone my efforts based around the advice in his books. While I got some great advice, it was a bit of a deflating experience at the same time! However, I do plan to take something with me next year and see if I can improve on the C1's lining. :D
Steve
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I've noticed that one or two professional model painters have a very "modest" view of their own abilities, much along the lines of "if I've done it then it is perfect in every respect, nobody's amateur efforts will ever be as good as mine and they do not deserve any moderation of criticism". I don't let it bother me - I do what I can do and I don't wish to pay for professional painting of MY model.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I feel that I might have been a slightly disingenuous to Ian in my previous post. While critical of my consistency of my lining thickness and painting in the double lined corners, he was quite positive of my red (actually maroon) lining and noticed that I hadn't painted the splasher tops black (apparently many people do). The purpose of showing him the Atlantic (and GWR County) was to show him what I've been doing based on his advice and techniques and to invite criticism (maybe I bit off more than I could chew on that one). In my opinion, Ian is one of (if not the) best in the business and it is because of the Right Tracks video and his book that I've been attempting to hand line my own locos and stock. Also to factor in is that he had some of his own work on display (including a beautiful 7mm apple green A3) and my own modest effort would naturally be somewhat inferior to that.

One thing he did seem surprised at was, when asked, I informed him that I'd painted the County using Precision BR Green. He didn't make any further comment but it did leave me wondering if he thought the shade was incorrect. However, I feel that this may be academic as the eventual owner of that loco has already asked if I could build him another based on the work to date.

Also, I accept that I find a positive outlook difficult nowadays, especially in regard to anything I do myself, and that may have also been a factor. However, I will return to Warley next year with something and see if he thinks I've improved (if he even remembers by then!).
Steve
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atso wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm ...Given that Hornby has offered NER and GER prototypes, I think that a true GNR prototype is over due - the J50/3/4 doesn't count in my view as it represents the LNER build of this locomotive...
And now the NBR J36 too.

But then again Hornby have managed A1, J52, and taken on board the N2. However - and I have bearded various Hornby representatives about this - considering that Hornby acknowledge that the Gresley pacifics have majorly saved their bacon in the past, then a useful GNR 0-6-0 (I would favour the J6) is a clear debt to us true believers in Doncaster first and foremost, before they muck about with more models from all other lesser railways.
Atso wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm ...Heljan still hasn't released their GNR version of the O2 (was it even the GN version or the earliest LNER version?); would this leave Bachmann as being the only rtr manufacturer to have released a GNR built locomotive?...
Well, no, and add to those above the fine NRM/Rapido model of the very much GNR Stirling single.

It does rather appear that Doncaster's matchless prowess in always producing the greatest UK steam express loco in every generation of development overshadows its secondary power productions. While on the subject, the NRM's inability to keep the whole Doncaster express loco development line visible side by side in one location is a major indictment of their lack of grasp of the subject they are supposedly curating too...
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:14 pm
Atso wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm ...Given that Hornby has offered NER and GER prototypes, I think that a true GNR prototype is over due - the J50/3/4 doesn't count in my view as it represents the LNER build of this locomotive...
And now the NBR J36 too.

But then again Hornby have managed A1, J52, and taken on board the N2. However - and I have bearded various Hornby representatives about this - considering that Hornby acknowledge that the Gresley pacifics have majorly saved their bacon in the past, then a useful GNR 0-6-0 (I would favour the J6) is a clear debt to us true believers in Doncaster first and foremost, before they muck about with more models from all other lesser railways.
Atso wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm ...Heljan still hasn't released their GNR version of the O2 (was it even the GN version or the earliest LNER version?); would this leave Bachmann as being the only rtr manufacturer to have released a GNR built locomotive?...
Well, no, and add to those above the fine NRM/Rapido model of the very much GNR Stirling single.

It does rather appear that Doncaster's matchless prowess in always producing the greatest UK steam express loco in every generation of development overshadows its secondary power productions. While on the subject, the NRM's inability to keep the whole Doncaster express loco development line visible side by side in one location is a major indictment of their lack of grasp of the subject they are supposedly curating too...
I'd forgotten about the J52 (a bit long in the tooth now though) and the excellent Stirling Single. Isn't the N2 the LNER build of this design though?
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Ok, about as far from the J3 in terms of the time of building as I can get.
L1.jpg
The test build of my revised L1 print. I've still got some snagging work to do on this one and a couple of minor things to redesign internally to make life easier but it is slowly coming along. This one already has a new home to go to (a layout being built, based on Whitby) and I hope to have this, and some of the variations, available for general sale later in 2019.
Steve
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atso wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:52 pmIsn't the N2 the LNER build of this design though?
No, based on the survivor which was a NB build for the GNR, originally 1744, LNER classification N2/1.

Like your L1. Looks very neat and tidy.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm
Atso wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:52 pmIsn't the N2 the LNER build of this design though?
No, based on the survivor which was a NB build for the GNR, originally 1744, LNER classification N2/1.

Like your L1. Looks very neat and tidy.
Thanks for the kind words, it is a shame the valve gear on the donor chassis isn't correct but the compromises of N gauge I'm afraid.

I didn't realise that about the Mainline/Airfix/Dapol/Hornby N2 body but it has been many years since I sold my OO gauge models and moved to N.
Steve
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

The J3's and L1 look very good.