NER Slotted Post Signal Drawings

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

NER Slotted Post Signal Drawings

Post by majormagna »

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can buy some drawings/diagrams, or know of books containing such, of the ubiquitous NER slotted post signals?

While the request could fall into the topic of modelling, I ask here because I don't feel it's close enough to that particular boards remit.

Any help or information that could be supplied will be gratefully recieved.
Moors Bound
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Slotted Post Signal Drawings

Post by jwealleans »

Get hold of Mick Nicholson. He'll know where you should look, if such things still exist.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

If I remember correctly there are drawings in North Eastern Tecord vol1.
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

The North Eatern Railway Association published a book “ History of North Eatern Railway Signalling” which was a comprehensive history of the development of NER signalling. It included a number of diagrams and photos of slotted post signals ....as well as plenty of information about signal boxes, level crossings, signal layouts etc
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The book is recent (last year or so) but has already sold out - the NERA are currently polling members/etc as to whether they should have a second printing...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

'A Pictorial Record of LNER Constituent Signalling', AA MacLean, OPC 1983 [86093-146-3] has drawings and photographs of several types. Quite rare and pricey but can be requested through your local public library...
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

You might like to see the Model Railway articles of May, July and Aug 1988 on NER signals by J H Wright, there may be some in the June edition but I don't have that one. I would not mind a copy if there is any info in it.
tomburnham
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by tomburnham »

Dave,
There is a John Wright article on North Eastern Railway signalling in the June 1988 Model Railways and is headed "John H. Wright looks at wooden posts, brackets and fittings".
Tom.
Member of the North Eastern Railway Association Archive Team

https://ner.org.uk/
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

Thanks to you all for the information, I knew of the NERA "History of North Eatern Railway Signalling" book, but have been unable to find a second hand copy for sale, here's hoping they re-publish.
Moors Bound
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Tom.
Thank you for the info on the June edition I always thought I had missed a section. Now to find a copy.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

65447 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:52 am 'A Pictorial Record of LNER Constituent Signalling', AA MacLean, OPC 1983 [86093-146-3] has drawings and photographs of several types. Quite rare and pricey but can be requested through your local public library...
Bill Hudson Transport Books currently lists a copy for £12.50, plus postage I would expect.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

NER Signal Drawings & Info

Post by majormagna »

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just ask here: I'm looking into the Raven Fog Signalling system, and wondered if anyone knew how widespread it was or how late it lasted?
Moors Bound
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Some of the same reference material listed above will help.
From memory most of the main line between York and Newcastle

I think it lasted until about 1933.

Will try to check later.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I've just seen on facebook, that the NERA have authorised a second printing of "History of North Eastern Signalling".
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Signal Drawings & Info

Post by 65447 »

Majormagna wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:57 pm Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd just ask here: I'm looking into the Raven Fog Signalling system, and wondered if anyone knew how widespread it was or how late it lasted?
It wasn't just for fog signalling but one of the earlier forms of AWS. It gets a one-page mention in LNER Constituent Signalling (ibid) - p150. Introduced 1895, abandoned October 1933, and 'a large proportion of the NER was covered by the system' with a note that LNER Pacific class locomotives allocated to the NE Area were fitted with the mechanical equipment, with those likely to operate over the Forth Bridge having an addition that lifted the contact shoe clear of the trough girders of that bridge.