Oxford Rail N7

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Oxford Rail N7

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Between the 'bits and pieces' box and long practiced technique on plastic models such as taking out a slice with a razor saw, I am sure most of those interested will not have too much trouble. From what I have seen so far, pretty sure it will look better than my SE Finecast N7/5 69640 which could really use a couple of shed mates so it can go off for a much needed works overhaul.

My primary interest will be the mechanism. I have only tinkered with one OR mechanism to date, rearranging the layout of a Radial tank to conceal the motor (for a friend with unaccountable Southern proclivities). That was straightforward enough by eliminating the flywheel, and along the way I was impressed with the well chosen gear ratio circa 50:1 which produced good slow running, and a scale maximum around 60mph. Nicely judged that, I would be pleased to build a kit chassis with that speed range for such a type. A little fiddling with carrying wheel travel and springing removed any tendency for the model to slip on low spots in the track. (There was some benefit there from past experience sweating blood to get C12s to run sweetly and reliably.)

An 0-6-2T arrangment is simpler, so if the mechanism is likewise well arranged should be a goodun. Smaller LNER traction, always welcome. Can it really be true that there are three more such announced as on the way RTR?
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Still no news on delivery? Oxford Rail are not exactly forthcoming with information, are they?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

PaulG wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:33 pm According to Oxford Rail in a reply to my FB enquiry, the N7 has been produced and more details will be released once shipping details have been confirmed.
I believe this is still the most up to date information. They showed what appear to be production specimens at a recent show. A month on one would hope that a container is on a ship heading our way; but having had some incidental contact with sea freight in my past, you don't believe it until the container arrives on your premises...
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

from Oxford Rail today

"Hi Paul, unfortunately we still don't have a release date yet. We can notify you when they release the date. Kind regards Sally"

I've asked Sally to notify me when they know more

Paul
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Still silence from Oxford Rail - are they going to arrive before Christmas?

And while on the subject of deliveries, where are we with the Rapido/Model Rail J70? Does anyone know?

We Great Eastern modellers are having a thin time of it this year. Wake me up in time for TMC's G5....
markeg
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by markeg »

Someone on RMWEb was talking with Oxford at Warley and said they will be coming in February now.
So more waiting. I am waiting patiently for the J70. It ooks likely in the new year too.
Mark
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

Read on another forum that at Warley the guys on the Oxford Rail stand are saying N7 should be in shops February - presumably 2019!.

Paul
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Hattons also say Feb/March 2019. If this guy from Oxford Rail is going to run Hornby like this.....
Bongo
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Bongo »

From the Oxford Rail Facebook page dated 7 January:
'Product Update:
OR76N7001 has just arrived in the warehouse. These will be distributed to suppliers in the next couple of days.'

OR76N7001 is the non-sound GER version - K85 (N7) No 1002. I understand that this will be on show at the London Toy Fair later this month and that the other versions will follow shortly thereafter.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

I've had an e-mail from Gaugemaster today, saying the OR76N7001 version has arrived with them.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Good news from those who have puchased the first release carrying GER grey. Seen several videos and the running performance is good, smooth down to dead slow and with ample traction. Given what a rarity this class was on the GER, I expect it is the awaited LNER and BR versions that most here prepared to consider RTR will be interested in?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

What's the latest view of students of this class on the matter of whether these models are "right"?

I could not find any indication in the RCTS volume of any lasting N7 allocations North of the London suburban network, or Cambridge in extremis, in pre-1939 days - or did I miss something?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

I picked up my N7 recently and overlaid it to John Gardner's drawings from the GERS and it appears to me very good in all the principle dimensions, is very finely modelled and I have had it hauling 16 bogie carriages around my layout with ease.

Comparing the model with the drawings, photos in Yeadons Vol 27 and the photo of no 1003 in GERS Journal 97 a few minor items appear to be possibly incorrect - I claim no expertise - front top lamp iron is on the door whereas it should be on top of smokebox on this engine, chimney a bit thin (?), top feeds to dome are missing, this engine was apparently not originally vacuum fitted so remove right-hand pipes front & rear. The additional pipe running down the right-hand side of the boiler I can't see either on the drawings or photo, was this added as part of the later versions with superheater? The handrail across the back of the bunker was apparently also a later (1929) addition so to the bars over the rear windows (1925) and a lamp bracket is needed centre top on bunker rails. There are two whistles, I think the left hand one should be remove.

The livery appears to "look" like the black and white photos, except perhaps the water tank vents should be black, not grey. There is a photograph of 1002 in Yeadons which shows GER on the side, not the Train Control number. The photo also shows bars to the rear cab windows, so if John is correct that bars were not fitted until 1925, then perhaps the Train Control number on the tank is wrong and it should have GER.

I'm very pleased with the model, its a very complex class of engines with a long history and many variations. At less than £90 it is very good value given the prices announced by other manufacturers and excellent that its in GER livery, even though I'm building a model of Colchester c1955! I certainly will buy the later BR version.

I would be interested to hear other comments - as I say I'm no expert and happy to do a little modelling to get it as near correct as possible.

Paul
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

Having read Lyn Brooks article on Train Control numbers, he states all locos within a matter of weeks in 1921 had them so added. Therefore I conclude that 1002 initially had GER on the tank side as per Yeadon photo, then quickly had it changed as per Oxford Rail model. It also means the rear cab window guards on the model are correct and suggest John is wrong in this instance saying they added later.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Without wishing to start too large a debate, does anyone have any further thoughts on whether Oxford's LNER liveried edition 8011, due into shops soon, is correct in being unlined? I'm wavering on whether to buy one or not, and the answer to this question may just swing me one way or another!

Thanks in advance,

Joshua