Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Dave »

Many thanks Mick, makes sense.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

MJT heavy bogies for the kitchen car bit, I've built the rigid version.
Quick question as it always confuses me (which is not hard) for the brass
wheel bearings, top hole or bottom ?.
Attachments
IMG_4957.JPG
IMG_4958.JPG
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Top one.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Many thanks JW, I can never remember, it's been a long time since I built any carriages.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

How can assembling bogies be so fraught.
Soldered up fine, bearings fitted fine, sides cleaned up fine, now fix the sides to the subframe.............easy.
I thought I would glue them on, but not use cyno, so out with the Araldite on Monday night, great, everything clean,
resin mixed and applied, everything fine, bit of cotton tied round the lot to keep it all in place whilst it set.
Got on with cleaning up the chassis's came back to it about 2 hours later thinking rapid take 5 mins, took the cotton
off and the sides fell off. I still had the mix with a cocktail stick in it....still runny...noooooooooo.
Cleaned up with IPA, never mind, old tube, do it again next night with another tube. So Tuesday, mixed up another batch
and low and behold the same thing, I kept checking the mix that was left over, I'm not daft you see. Warmed it on the rad
no difference. so again stripped and cleaned in IPA. So last night the subframe was tinned and the whole lot bloody well
soldered on........it worked, so 3 days work to fix the sides, I blame the eu. One thing I did do was carve a bit of the back away
from the overlay, to leave a gap so the low melt solder could run through the full thickness of the brass side.
Pics.
1st pic is the bogie subframe etch I forgot to include earlier.
2. Overlay showing the carving out.
3 & 4 the final thing complete. just needs cleaning up.
Attachments
Bogie etch.
Bogie etch.
IMG_4961.JPG
IMG_4962.JPG
IMG_4963.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

So after the bogie debacle I have been intermittently cleaning up, working on the underframes.
I had assembled some MJT queen post etches earlier with the view of replacing the Comet ones, to
give the correct 4 turnbuckles, as I found out, they were not suitable being too short, so I cut one into 3 pieces
and soldered some brass angle to the underside of the 1st dining car floor, then soldered the 3 bits to this, brilliant it worked
you can see the cut bit in the photo.
Then I cut 2 MJT turnbuckles out of the fret to act as spacers for the next queenpost. Thats when I realised they
do not correspond with the centres, their centres are closer, so replaced the MJT with the Comet etch, you can see the angle
still on the floor pan. I have also reduced the size of bottom edge of the soleplate, they now extend half a millimetre and look a
better and more like the real thing. I found it easier to bend up the fret as supplied, solder it in position and file it back, as you have
more metal to get hold of to bend it...if all that makes sense. The last photo shows the altered 1st against the unaltered 3rd.
Attachments
IMG_4966.JPG
IMG_4969.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Just so that you can have a laugh following your non-setting epoxy, let me assure you that I've occasionally produced two-part casting resin mixtures that refused to harden fully, especially the ones done while multi-tasking, in a hurry, which turn out to a mixture of part A resin with an equal amount of...........part A resin :oops:

How I "enjoy" cleaning out the moulds afterwards :roll: .
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

How I feel your pain Atlantic.

So upwards and backwards, the Kitchen car cell boxes, and the compressor box are nearing completion, I still have the box forming jig I made
for the D10C, so that was used to ensure the base sides were assembled square, I think the photo shows how, the box is built in 2 halves
and glued together. I'm sure it is described earlier around page 5ish if anybody is interested. Then the base is covered with a 15thou scribed overlay
with the planking scribed on.
Anybody know what the grey thing is in the photo of the cell boxes, the bit on the left is an adjustable leg it needs 4.
Attachments
IMG_4971.JPG
IMG_4974.JPG
IMG_4977.JPG
IMG_4978.JPG
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

It was a delight to see Dave and his hopper wagons in the flesh at Pontefract show on Saturday. They look even better when viewed up close.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The grey thing looks like the top of Cleopatra's Needle. God knows where you'd put that on a triplet.

I'm going to disagree with Mick, I solder top and bottom halves of the sides together then bend them. I have a bending tool like the one TW uses which a friend made for me.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you Rob, it was lovely to see you and your brilliant models, and thanks for the advice on the cutter, I am looking into it. It's strange how models always seem better in the flesh than in photo's.
Chris's paintings were superb. All in all a nice little show and a very last minute decision to go when my friend rang me to say he was going that afternoon, otherwise I would not have gone.
I have given it a bit more thought and I still feel going O would drive me insane, to much detail could be added and when to stop, so sorry to disappoint you but I think I will be sticking to 4mm.

Thanks JW, I have a set of rollers and I was wondering how it would roll a narrow strip. I have not started on the bodies yet, so a bit of time
yet to decide. I think without rollers Micks way would be easier.
No it's not a bit of Cleopatra's drug equipment, it's a mobile launch pad for a V2 rocket, for one of my grandsons, part of his bid for world domination,
it's good to start young in the world domination game as there are a lot of people at it at the moment.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Here is the good old V2, and the completed fridge and cell boxes for the kitchen car plus
the base structure for the 1st and 3rd dinning car cell boxes, you can see how big the kitchen car ones are
and all of them are bigger than the MJT standard ones.
Attachments
IMG_4979.JPG
IMG_4981.JPG
IMG_4982.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Nice 'bits'. Is your Grandson, going to test the V2 at Gatwick by any chance ? :D :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks Manna, probably or Heathrow, the police are too inept to catch him so he will be ok.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Cell boxes for the outer dining cars well on the way.

The other photo shows the size difference between the large kitchen box, outer dining car box and a standard MJT box.
Attachments
IMG_4997.JPG
IMG_4998.JPG