Atso's C&W works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atso's C&W works

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Having just reminded myself (rudely) of some of the things that can go wrong with thin areas produced by "traditional" resin casting, I sympathize with your problems in 3D printing. Given the scale though, will it show up in most situations? Anyway, you can tell older modellers that they are only to look without their reading glasses, and tell younger modellers that they can look and learn by all means but that the pointing out of any faults is a privilege reserved to older and more experienced folk 8)
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Dave wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:47 pm Very nice, seems everyone is resin 3d printing.
Thanks Dave.

I've been mucking around with CAD and 3D printing for around 13 years now - although its only been the last ten where I've been able to find places that could print to the quality I would like. Then I had to wait until my CAD and physical modelling skills caught up to what could be printed.
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:43 pm Having just reminded myself (rudely) of some of the things that can go wrong with thin areas produced by "traditional" resin casting, I sympathize with your problems in 3D printing. Given the scale though, will it show up in most situations? Anyway, you can tell older modellers that they are only to look without their reading glasses, and tell younger modellers that they can look and learn by all means but that the pointing out of any faults is a privilege reserved to older and more experienced folk 8)
Thanks for your empathy Graeme - life is full of little challenges, isn't it? :lol:

I generally find that, in N Gauge, it isn't necessarily what I include but rather what I can get away with leaving off. With regard to that lowermost bit of beading, I doubt that anyone, who hasn't read this thread, would notice. Tim Watson has expressed an interest in the Howlden which is high praise indeed! :D

As I've found I have the drawings already, I've spent a bit of time working on the next coach.
D183 Lav Comp Brake.jpg
This will be the D183 Lavatory Composite Brake, of which I'll require two for the 2.04pm. The bit that I find the most time consuming, the upper beading, has been plotted out. When I first started, I used to measure from the drawings and spend forever trying to fudge things to fit. Now, I scale the compartments and add in the (prototypical) thicknesses for the partitions and ends. From that, I plot out the door positions and then work out where the beading should be. Starting from one end, this one worked out perfectly so I must have done something right for a change! :lol:

Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to open up the windows and add the lower beading before sorting out all the other detailing bits.
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

The D183 body has progress a little today.
D183 Lav Comp Brake 14-2-19.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I test printed the D183 over night. I have to orientate the model diagonally across the build plate to just be able to squeeze it into the printers footprint. This had the knock on effect of the body taking up nearly all of the printers usable space and it took almost ten hours to print!

Here it is as it came off the printer.
D183 Lav Comp Brake.jpg
I've got a couple of support issues to sort out for the final version but I'm pretty confident that the printer can handle this particular coach. However, an N gauge 58 footer is going to be the absolute largest item of rolling stock I can print in one piece.
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Nice print, Good job most GN coaches were on the short side. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

manna wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:12 pm G'Day Gents

Nice print, Good job most GN coaches were on the short side. :D

manna
Thanks Manna, it is good that most of them were shorter than the D183!

The test prints have gone into primer this afternoon.
20190215_171710.jpg
20190215_172429.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I've managed to get a bit of time to start CAD work on the D 248D Corridor Third for the 2.4pm Cambridge - KX express.
D248D Corridor Third.jpg
The roof and ends took a bit of time to work out how I was going to render them - and then some more time convincing the CAD program to do what I wanted it to! I think the result was worth the time though. I've only done the basic detail for this side and will try to move it a little further along tomorrow.

A quick question to those more knowledgeable than I. Neither the drawings or the one set of photos (both sides of the same coach) I've found show any roof vents. Was this a feature of all the D 248s or just the D 248D? I know the drawings say it is but better to check.

Many thanks in advance.
Steve
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Steve,

The 248D Diagram is described as having cant rail ventilation on the Isinglass drawing and is shown without roof vents.

I will check what photo evidence I may have.

John
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

JASd17 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:08 pm Steve,

The 248D Diagram is described as having cant rail ventilation on the Isinglass drawing and is shown without roof vents.

I will check what photo evidence I may have.

John
Thanks very much John, I've got the drawings and noticed that but wanted to check as it seems a bit strange to me. I have two photos of E 4761 E from "Great Northern Railway and East Coacst Joint Stock Carriages" agrees with the drawings, but still... :?
Steve
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Steve,

I will ask the GNRS chaps, unless they see this first.

John
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

JASd17 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:41 pm I will ask the GNRS chaps, unless they see this first.
Thanks again John.

I'm managed another three hours this morning and have now completed both sides of the body. I think I've only got the gangways left to do but I'm undecided if I'm going to print these or make them up out of thin paper.
D248D Corridor Third Side 2.jpg
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I've been lacking the mojo to do any modelling recently but have dragged myself back to the bench over the last couple of days and put together a couple of very different N gauge wagons using some very different materials.

The first of these is a BH Enterprises etched body kit for an ex-GCR fish van. This is designed to fit a modified Peco chassis but I decided to use the 2mm Association etched version instead and fitted it with N gauge wheels. I used solder throughout the construction of this one and it took around three and a half hours to build - I still need to add vacuum pipes before it can go to the paint shop.

GCR Fish Van and Chassis.jpg

The second is the N Gauge Society's LMS Trestrol wagon plastic kit. I'll be painting this one to represent one of the LNER built examples. I use Butanone very sparingly to speed up construction and reached this stage in under an hour.

NGS Trestrol Wagon small image.jpg

Both were very enjoyable kits and have helped to get the mojo going again. :)
Steve
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

That fish van is neater than the two I've just built and they were twice the size.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

It's a very crisp model of the fish van......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Your modelling is certainly inspirational. Just don't distract me with rolling stock just yet. I need to get back to wiring!