Bananas and fish ??

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Has anybody managed to find the above mentioned "Harry's not quite model album" please? If so, would they care to share a link? I've drawn a blank.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Really interesting thoughts here gents. Thank you to everyone who has replied!

So follow up question - if it's just LNER vans in a fish train, is it really likely that you only get two diagrams of LNER fish vans in a train...? So more constituent and common user vans required?

What kits/models should I be looking at to add to my fish train (ECML, V2 hauled) - I think my 1946-49 era layout is likely too early for blue spot wagons almost certainly, do I need to look at converting a few of the old Hornby H&B style vans for use in the train...?

I must get a copy of the necessary Tatlow volumes.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

My current fish train of 27 vans (mid-late 1930s) comprises:
5 LNER outside frame vans built 1927-32 (D&S)
2 NE (D&S)
3 GC outside frame (D&S)
2 GC 12T long wheelbase (D&S)
2 GN, 5T & 6T (Jidenco)
2 earlier GC (Chivers)
4 LNER 12ft wb (Cotswold and Parkside)
3 LNER Dia 68 (Bachmann)
2 kitbashed 3H to Dia 68
1 other version of LNER, similar to Dia 68 but with single end vent
1 GN vent van

The only vans above not designed for fish traffic are the GN vent van and the 2 GC long wheelbase vans but these two were converted by GC to carry fish.

I have 9 more to add to the train, 3 secondhand NE D&S, 1 more D&S GC long wb van, 2 more D&S GC outside frame, 2 D&S GN 6T and R&E (now from Brassmasters) GC bogie fish van.

Hope this helps.

Also there is a whole chapter on Fish traffic in the first volume of The Great Central in LNER Days by David Jackson and Owen Russell.

Andrew
Last edited by Woodcock29 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Brilliant info, thank you.

Lots more work to do!
All thumbs
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by All thumbs »

Absolutely salivating here in the corner - pictures please, Andrew!
Be gentle! Returning to the hobby after more than 20 years away...
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 pm Really interesting thoughts here gents. Thank you to everyone who has replied!

So follow up question - if it's just LNER vans in a fish train, is it really likely that you only get two diagrams of LNER fish vans in a train...? So more constituent and common user vans required?

What kits/models should I be looking at to add to my fish train (ECML, V2 hauled) - I think my 1946-49 era layout is likely too early for blue spot wagons almost certainly, do I need to look at converting a few of the old Hornby H&B style vans for use in the train...?

The LNER designed new fish vans to dia214 which started to appear at nationalisation. The first diagram of BR "Blue Spots" dia800 is virtually identical although they did not have roller bearings. These would do for the 1946-49 trsin along with some older types.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Trestrol wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm
S.A.C. Martin wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 pm Really interesting thoughts here gents. Thank you to everyone who has replied!

The LNER designed new fish vans to dia214 which started to appear at nationalisation. The first diagram of BR "Blue Spots" dia800 is virtually identical although they did not have roller bearings. These would do for the 1946-49 trsin along with some older types.
That's interesting. So if I modified a few Hornby Blue Spot wagons to have the oil bearing type axleboxes, that would produce a dia214 effectively? Failing that - build the parkside dia 800 wagon?

I note the NYMR has one of these 1948 built wagons being restored.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

S.A.C. Martin wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 am

That's interesting. So if I modified a few Hornby Blue Spot wagons to have the oil bearing type axleboxes, that would produce a dia214 effectively? Failing that - build the parkside dia 800 wagon?

Yes should be quite easy although the check the side framing as the second BR batch dia 801 had extra external framing.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Trestrol wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Yes should be quite easy although the check the side framing as the second BR batch dia 801 had extra external framing.
Good shout, though hopefully won't affect my builds as I am LNER 1946-49 and there will only be a few of these in the train as a result. :)

Thanks for all your help, gentlemen.
harry lamb
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by harry lamb »

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thank you.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
harry lamb
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by harry lamb »

Many thanks 'Atlantic' for the generous and friendly response to the information I gave regarding 'Harry Lambs' "Not quite quite model album". I do hope now that yourself, as one of the senior 'big cheeses' in this forum you will ensure that 'harry lamb' will have no further input whatsoever in this "Forum" and strike me from membership. And that means 'Stafnes' also! A former 'alias' as I suffer from the lack of 'password retention'. Thankyou. I will continue as a 'lurker' observing the forum, as I do with the RMweb but my contributions are obviously very limited to both organisations and I do apologise for that. Regards, HL.
D2100

Post by D2100 »

LNER dia 214 and BR 1/800 are to all intents and purposes the same bar the numbering. The roller bearing aspect is a detail, only some 1/800s were so fitted and it wasn't from new
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Pennine MC wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 pm
LNER dia 214 and BR 1/800 are to all intents and purposes the same bar the numbering. The roller bearing aspect is a detail, only some 1/800s were so fitted and it wasn't from new
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. I had better finish the ones I was building!