The North British Main Line

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

The North British Main Line

Post by West_Stanley »

At least I think that's what they call it. I'm actually talking about the line between Berwick upon Tweed & Edinburgh Waverly. I wish to know what stations a stopping train would stop at between those two destinations. These are the stations I already know about, heading northwards:

Burnmouth Junction
Ayton
Reston Junction
Grantshouse
Cockburnspath
Innerwick
Dunbar
East Linton
East Fortune
Drem Junction
Longniddry Junction
Prestonpans Junction

That information came from a well-known book called "British Railways, Pre-Grouping Atlas & Gazetteer" and is an Ian Allan publication. Unfortunately, the northern end of the map on that particular page lacks clarity. There could be another three stations or so between Prestonpans Junction and Edinburgh Waverly. Does anyone know what they may be?
Last edited by West_Stanley on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: The North British Main Line

Post by JASd17 »

Attached is a page from the spring 1932 public TT. Showing the 6.25pm from Edinburgh.

There was a station at Joppa on the main line, but it appears Edinburgh to Berwick trains did not stop there. There may be others, New Hailes for instance.
LNER TT Spring 1932 Page 54 crop.jpg

John
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

1850 stops:-

Burnmouth, Ayton, Reston, Grant's House, Cockburnspath, Innerwick, Dunbar, Linton, East Fortune, Drem, Longniddry, Haddington, Tranent, Inveresk, Portobello and Edinburgh.
BJamieson
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by BJamieson »

The reprint of the July 1922 Bradshaw's shows a 7.0am Waverley to Newcastle stopping train which also called at Abbeyhill and Piershill - there were no calls made at these Edinburgh suburban stations by any Down service from Berwick.
Bill