NER Snowplough

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

NER Snowplough

Post by Paul_sterling »

Hi Gents,

In addition to the Q1 build, a work colleague and myself have been working on an NER snowplough as a leaving present for a colleague who is returning to Japan, and has recently made a start on his model railway collection (Hornby Mallard Pullman, and Flying Scotsman)

ImageIMG_20190329_080911 by Paul Sterling, on Flickr

I apologise that I don't have any in-progress pics, as we've been a bit too busy, and squeezed this in as and when. It isn't perfect, as we've worked off pictures, I should probably have gone and measured one of the surviving ones, but C'est la vie. The finished appearance looks pretty good though I think.

Cheers. Paul.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Snowplough

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Certainly looks well. Very interesting that there is a stove in the cabin section, implying that people might ride in it. Why I wonder? I know that they did because one of the Worsdell brothers was injured in one, and a colleague with him died from his injuries.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

According to ''Railway Snowploughs in the North East' by David and Claire Williamson (see my thread ......here... and scroll down) crews were not supposed to travel in the ploughs while they were actually ploughing. Yes this was in consequence of the March 1888 accident, when one person died and Wilson Worsdell suffered a badly broken leg.
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

From my experience of working this train,the platelayers would ride in the rearmost van. They would refuse to ride in the front.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Being that you have used the drawings for Plough's 18, 19 and 20 which is the only set including the GA Drawing.
Your model does seem to be reasonably accurate.
The stove is in the Front section of the cabin with the crew benches in the rear section.
On some of the other ploughs from 1 - 24 chimney location did vary from Left to Right but nearly always forward of the bulkhead.
Other means of identication were step type, Buffers and planking alignment.
I note you have recreated the axle box servicing doors, these I did not recreate when I rebuilt 18 as an added security measure.

I attended the 150th of the Stainmore line back in 2011 - 12 with my snowplough 18 from the NYMR
There I talked to some of the old members of staff who used to work with these ploughs.
One of them was the Supervisor who would say to the gang that they were only travelling to site in the plough with maybe a few light drifts to get through and that any big drifts and the drivers would stop and let them out before setting back and charging.
He then went to the Engine men and said what ever you do, don't stop and try and keep above 45mph.

The bench seats will cope with between 6 and 8 men.
They would travel to sites in the Snowplough as no real difference to a mess van.
There was a food locker and a supply of fuel for the stove on board. Easily topped up from the locos.
No on board water supply though, again use of the loco to supply probably.

No 18 is usually resident on the NYMR in Newbridge PW Yard.

The reunion from Bleath Ghyll
18and78019.JPG
18and910 Kby Stn Aug 2011.jpg
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

Bryan wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:19 pm Being that you have used the drawings for Plough's 18, 19 and 20 which is the only set including the GA Drawing.
Your model does seem to be reasonably accurate.
The stove is in the Front section of the cabin with the crew benches in the rear section.
On some of the other ploughs from 1 - 24 chimney location did vary from Left to Right but nearly always forward of the bulkhead.
Other means of identication were step type, Buffers and planking alignment.
I note you have recreated the axle box servicing doors, these I did not recreate when I rebuilt 18 as an added security measure.

I attended the 150th of the Stainmore line back in 2011 - 12 with my snowplough 18 from the NYMR
There I talked to some of the old members of staff who used to work with these ploughs.
One of them was the Supervisor who would say to the gang that they were only travelling to site in the plough with maybe a few light drifts to get through and that any big drifts and the drivers would stop and let them out before setting back and charging.
He then went to the Engine men and said what ever you do, don't stop and try and keep above 45mph.

The bench seats will cope with between 6 and 8 men.
They would travel to sites in the Snowplough as no real difference to a mess van.
There was a food locker and a supply of fuel for the stove on board. Easily topped up from the locos.
No on board water supply though, again use of the loco to supply probably.

No 18 is usually resident on the NYMR in Newbridge PW Yard.

The reunion from Bleath Ghyll
18and78019.JPG

18and910 Kby Stn Aug 2011.jpg
Hi,

Not sure if two coversations are taking place on this thread, but if the compliments were aimed my way, many thanks.

We haven't actually used any drawings, the models were made using photographs only, mainly because we didn't know/research the book ha.

Paul