Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: A proper vintage carriage.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nominally available it would seem and at a reasonable price, but not necessarily in stock or definitely due in soon. Add to that the rather long-looking wheelbase that might require cutting and shutting of the tough plastic with careful preservation or alteration of details in order to get the right-looking length and details, along with a probable need to change to larger and better wheels, and the potential appeal of the Hornby bogies fades somewhat.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Thanks for the compliment Graeme.

I have been studying my photos and the diagrams that I have,
I hope to have more info for you on the correct style and type of bogie soon,]
it just takes time to look for the differences.

Much of it relates to different attempts to get the springing correct on the
real items.

The rest of things are looking really good.
Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Paul,

My limited access to published photos suggested to me that the 1896 and 1900 Doncaster products with 6 wheeled bogies had the original short leaf springs over the axleboxes and transverse leaf springs for the bolsters. Around 1902 I notice new vehicles had longer leaf springs over the axleboxes with the inner ends of the springs apparently linked up by what appear to be compensating or equalising levers. A further change to new bogies by 1906 seems to be the use of coil springs for the bolsters. With, by the look of it, 3 styles of axlebox fronts also featuring before grouping, there's plenty to confuse at a quick glance.

I also wondered if at least some of the 1896 bogies had slightly narrower plates either side of each axlebox.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

it is important to remember that in the period 1895-1905, everyone of the railway companies were
experimenting with Clerestories and they were by definition heavier than previous carriages.
In particular, on the GNR, Patrick Stirling had almost a hatred for bogies, and until the 45 footers
were forced upon him, almost would not countenance them behind his locos, thus the carriage
works did not have a great deal of practical experience with heavier weights and longer carriages.

Thus using the Leeds Forge, "Fox" forging allowed them a number of chances to experiment,
they also used a lot of Spencer rubber springs even before Gresley joined in 1905. At which
point some of the 6 wheeled bogies were made 4 wheelers by Gresley by "just" removing the
centre wheels.

Paul
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Some images of the best two cast sides so far, flash removed, joined by tiny (hence breakable) spots of superglue to other parts, including the roof which is still rough but partly painted with a teak base coat to help to show progress, the ensemble sitting precariously on six loose Mansell wheelsets...
STA71229s.jpg
STA71229det3.jpg
STA71231s.jpg
STA71231det.jpg
STA71231det2.jpg

Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Beautiful! :D
Chas
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Chas Levin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:15 pm Beautiful! :D
G'Day Gents

Agree.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

Fantastic looking carriage!
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Good Progress. Thank you.
A potentially most useful vehicle.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Quite apart from the complications relating to the possible nature of the fittings on the bogies in the later part of the lives of these vehicles, it is proving "tricky" at best to make an educated rather than a blind guess at the type of lighting, hence the underframe fittings and roof details, plus the general finish of as much of the interior as is likely to be visible. I'm learning things that I hadn't expected to need to know, with plenty of gratefully received assistance from others....

NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Graeme,
I don't know what reference information you have, but March82 MRC has some details of a GNR 12-wheel composite brake 318, is this of a similar type to the one you are making? This is drawings and notes by a Fred Lee, showing side, end, roof and internal details. I'm going though 100's of old magazines and I'm sure that this is not the only one for this type of coach, there is some ECJS in there as well. Mansell wheels?
Regards Charlie
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Charlie,

I do have copies of some of the MRC Fred Lee articles, but I cannot find the one you mention. Yes, same general style of vehicle with clerestory roof rounded-down at the ends, riding on six-wheeled bogies with Mansell wheels.

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:57 pm Thanks Charlie,

I do have copies of some of the MRC Fred Lee articles, but I cannot find the one you mention. Yes, same general style of vehicle with clerestory roof rounded-down at the ends, riding on six-wheeled bogies with Mansell wheels.
I'll email it to you shortly.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Ta - received and reply sent.

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

A very interesting thread. The method could be used to produce other rare coaches etc.

When I visit 4D models for brass/plasticard & more, I look at the resin casting equipment and wonder; before retreating to the Prospect of Whitby (dockland pub) for a beer. I am now even more inclined to buy a basic resin casting set and have a go at something simple.

Returning to the good looking carriage; the restaurant car probably started with gas for lighting and cooking. I wouldn't think that the LNER would change to electric lighting and leave gas cooking. It wouldn't appeal to the LNER's restricted budget.

Earlswood Nob

PS I stop at the Prospect of Whitby on the way home. If I stopped on the way to 4D, I wouldn't hesitate to buy, as everything seems a good idea after a few beers.