My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by Phil Brighton »

Layout also makes slow but steady progress.
pb4.jpg
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Looks terrific Phil. I need a tardis then I could go back to 20 years before I was born and these are the sights I'd see up near the end of Laurel Ave where I lived for my first 8 years!
Andrew
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Nice result with the brake van and a nice layout on which it sits. An incentive for the rest of us to get on with things.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

I don't think I can give any incentives with regards to productivity, particularly to you! But thanks for the kind words.
I was supposed to be tackling wire and post fencing next but that was dull so have set about building the Coronation from more Mailcoach kits. More to follow sooner or later...
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Nice to see Potters Bar progressing so well, there are so few pics of Potters Bar in that era, at least now we have a better understanding of what was there and in colour to.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Wonderful work Phil, I especially like the picture above of the station. You've captured the atmosphere of the area really well and it gives me something to aspire to modelling the station immediately south of Potters Bar. 8)
Steve
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Am getting on and having the normal troubles with my Mailcoach Coronation set but will get there. On the rather pricey golden age models set the coaches including the observation coach have smoking/non smoking signs. I have transfers for this but can't actually confirm if they should be there. Most of the photos of the coaches I can find don't have them but are right out of the shop and ot sure very representative. Any photos to confirm either way?
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

The Coronation set is nearly done but I have been distracted by starting a DJH C2.
Very similar to the C1 so should be fairly plain sailing...

Having said that I have never yet found brake gear anything less than tricky.
IMG_20190802_161549.jpg
deltico12
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by deltico12 »

Have only found Your thread a few minutes ago. from looking at photos, the North London co.train would draw forward onto the the down slow and stop near the
yard exit points at the north end of the yard. the engine would be uncoupled draw forward, yard points reversed and run into the yard run past the coaches till clear of the yard exit points near the signalbox. When the points were reversed the loco would draw onto the south end of the coaches. when the road was reset the train would then draw forward off the Down Slow across the down fast and cross over on to the up fast using the cross over in the platforms. then if needed to, set back into the up sidings.Hope this is of help. if I had access to the signal box diagram I would have qouted the point numbers for the movements mentioned.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Thanks very much. I do have a signal diagram here somewhere. Will post it up when on the computer rather than the phone.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

I am pretty sure I follow what you are saying but here the the diagram in case it is interesting to you or anyone else.
pottersbarc1950.jpg
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

C2 just needs final handrails etc popped on before painting.
IMG_20190816_113540.jpg
IMG_20190816_113537.jpg
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Like the C2 :D . Perfect for the stoppers.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I must have one of those, one day, but it's one of many things......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to do a 3D print to sit on the bachmann C1 chassis sooner or later. But there is something satisfing about making something from metal. Even if my soldering is somewhat on the messy side.