Daves C & W Works

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Daves C & W Works

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I agree that the Weltrol is generally close to things LNER had, probably had, or ought to have had. I have a re-wheeled example with better facings on the axleboxes filled rivet holes on the end decks, and some brake hand-wheels added. If you do find a genuine diagram and number then that would be even better.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the info John, the drawing you sent me seems to confirm it.
Graeme if I find a near match I will let you know, my gut feeling is it will be a hybrid.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

More work on the underframes.
1st pic is the 1st class u/f.
2nd pic Kitchen car, the Comet instructions show 2 dynamos at one end, 3 in total, my GA drawing has only 2, 1 at each end, so that is why I have only 2 modelled, until I can find out otherwise. The 3rd one may have been added later ?.
3rd is the plebs class u/f, talking to John yesterday I think the slots etched into the underframe for the V hangers are in the wrong place, I need to sketch out the locations of bits to confirm or deny this, it can get confusing when looking at drawings which look up from below and those that look down through the floor.
Last pic is the complicated twists and turns of the vac pipe.
Attachments
IMG_5360.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5362.JPG
IMG_5363.JPG
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

That vacuum pipe looks very neat.

I find it tricky to bend wire and make it go exactly as I want. I am not looking forward to the gas pipes on the Howlden Quint set roofs.

Very good to see you yesterday Dave. Those battery boxes are a marvel.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Here are some cruel pics of Mikes mkI bucket seats, I painted then to look a bit like the ones LNERCA have.
They are very small in reality, those who have seen them will know. Mike gave me enough for a open 3rd, so another
project.
Attachments
IMG_5429.JPG
IMG_5430.JPG
IMG_5431.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Mike Trice also gave me some exquisite T4 dynamos and his mkI Gresley Bogie, amazing detail, (his 7mm version is something else indeed) which
my photo's do not capture. Those who have seen them in the flesh will agree.
I have included one photo of the dynamo as printed and not cleaned up, it's quite tricky cutting it out.
Attachments
IMG_5634.JPG
IMG_5635.JPG
IMG_5637.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Bogie.
Attachments
IMG_5638.JPG
IMG_5639.JPG
IMG_5640.JPG
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As Dave has suggested, the details are incredible when the parts are seen for real. Magnifier and additional lighting justifiable.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Mind blowing, looks like a 3D printer will be required Christmas present in the future.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Hat's off to you for the detail painting on those seats Dave. I have some really nice similar cast seats from Peter Cowling in 7mm for my Tourist stock set - I guess I will have to make a better job of painting them than I had originally planned....
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

As has been mentioned a 3d printer seems to be on all our lists.
Thanks Rob, but I'm sure you will do a brilliant job, as usual, or get Chris to do them.
Well I've been a bit diverted of late from the triplet, a trip down LMS lines with some vans, 3 versions
of the same dia. makes an interesting line up. I hope they don't contravine the LNER code.
So on to the triplet, I've primed the kitchen underframe and started to apply rivets, the eagle eyed
may be able to see the little black buggers. Then I lost the rivet sheet, now found, got the bits from
York show the other week that I needed, so progress can resume.
The blue tint to the pics is due to the blue tint on the self cleaning glass in the roof.
Attachments
IMG_5679.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5680.JPG
IMG_5682.JPG
thegreenhowards
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by thegreenhowards »

Dave,

I was put onto your thread by Jonathan Weallans when I was asking questions on RMWeb about the underframe for a Thompson kitchen car that I’m building. I’ve just spent a week on holiday and managed to read right through from the beginning, and just wanted to say what a fantastic source of inspiration it is. The detail that you model is incredible, that D10C blew me away!

I will follow the Comet triplet with interest as I have one in my roundtuit pile.

Keep modelling!

Andy
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you for your very kind comments Andy, I have seen your model of the 12 wheel kitchen car
on your RM pages, I was impressed, you have some nice models.

I have just got some more supplies for the triplet, more Archer rivets, just arrived from trumpland, Comet hinges and jig (thanks Jonathan), which I did not know existed, and was struggling to work out a way of making them, so after a delay I can restart and hopefully have everything I now need, I know I said this a bit back, but I did not realise I needed other bits. In the meantime I have built 14 LMS vans (from the to do pile), and as some of you know I have been collecting drawings for the LNER/LMS Trestrol. Over the weekend I cut 2 old Triang Trestrols up to make a near scale length LNER Trestrol C. It's now glued up and work on the bogies commenced. Some pics included.
Attachments
TRESTROL C (1).JPG
TRESTROL C (2).JPG
TRESTROL C (3).JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Trestrol C progressing. I managed to have enough left over bits to make a second wagon,
both joined together, and some of the bogies being worked on. Alan Gibson wheels are replacing the old Triang ones
with brass bearings. The centre bearings are loose and slide in the slot provided by Triang, I never realised the old centre
wheels could move, very cleaver for it's day. Buffers are Mr Franks and the brake wheels are 51L. Tomorrow I will get the LMS GA
drawing to see how the model differs, I'm going to build the trestles based on the Trestrol B ones as I have the drawing for those,
there does not seem to be a drawing for the ones on the C. Know I have 2 I need more brake wheels and another set of buffers...hay ho.
I thing 1 will be in LMS livery and 1 LNER, maybe both LMS as it's easier.

Triplet more rivets being applied, and I have altered my GA under frame drawing to check the layout of the 3rd as I'm sure it's not correct
as Comet's instructions...we will see over the weekend.
Attachments
IMG_6061.JPG
IMG_6062.JPG
IMG_6063.JPG
IMG_6065.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Well for those of you who are interested I had success at the NRM this lunchtime.
If only I had got the 3 drawings today I would have saved myself 3 trips and 5 other 6 wheel bogie drawings that
were not the right ones, it took the LMS drawing to note the LNER bogie drawing number, which by chance and detective work by moi.
I had ordered and was in the box......oh joy of joy. I love the tracking down of drawings better than modelling.....maybe.
Any way if anybody else wants the drawings they are.
LMS D11/298 55t Well Trolley
LNER 12496N Welded 6 wheel bogie GA
LNER 12497N Sections 6 wheel bogie