Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: A proper vintage carriage.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The chunkier, filled-in, seat bases will make the casting of any copies a far easier proposition, as you can imagine, as well as adding strength and, I presume, making them easier to glue in place securely on a carriage floor.

Pushing the limits of what I can photograph with my compact camera when I'm not inclined to set up special lighting, here's an idea of the appearance of Mike's exquisite 3D prints of the retractable GN buffers with a touch of paint on the housings to reveal details. The true hexagonal nuts on the mounting studs are just about discernible I believe. I can now see that I should have cleaned up the heads a little more. I thought I had taken any irregularities off the edges and dressed the fine striations on the faces, but I've missed one or two residual stubs of the print supports.
STA71303s.jpg
STA71301s.jpg
I've had a preliminary look at the means of marrying the lovely printed bogie sides to the separately sourced very handy etched inners too. No major challenges notices so far.

Should I hold back then from the idea of posting in Lincolnshire dialect in case it's too much for our Australian participants? Not much evidence in any case of Lincolnshire dialect in the version of the song Horkstow Grange as collected by Percy G, regardless of whose version of the lyrics is chosen.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Enjoying your coach build, ingenious.

As far as dialects, it can't be that bad that we wouldn't be able to not understand you. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That won't not never be a problem.

Or, as it may be in some places:

That weeant not nivver be a problem.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Using the gratefully received first versions of both the etched inner bogie frame and the outer 3D printed parts, both of which I gather will be better still in final form, I now have a true-length later-style Doncaster 6 wheel bogie to compare with the 247 Developments item that I molested. I've only fitted the representations of the bolster ends to one side so far, as the first versions of these need a bit of modification to fit within the brass frame (which wasn't envisaged at the first design stage) and thus modified they are a little tricky to fit in exactly the right places - especially if, like me, you might want to be able to remove them in order to try another version.....
STA71309s V1 close.jpg
STA71311s V1 top.jpg
STA71312s V1 below.jpg
STA71313s V1 inside face.jpg
STA71308s V1 vs 247.jpg
STA71315s one each end.jpg
STA71316s V1 fitted, side.jpg

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The bogie frame etch came with both the obvious simple central mounting hole and (besides a load of handy washers) parts to create a proper rocking central mount as an alternative to simply relying on slack in the pivot screw. Both seem like perfectly viable options, although if you put the pivot screw above the centre axle either that axle has to come out for maintenance or the screw has to go in from above the floor of the coach with a relatively inaccessible nut above the axle. The cast 247 bogie has a slightly offset pivot hole which avoids the access problem but slightly limit the side-swing of the bogie, since on end of the bogie is effectively made longer by the hole offset.
STA71317s 247 off c pivoot.jpg
I've had a go at some alterations to try to combine the advantages of offset fixing with advantage of a central pivot point allowing maximum bogie swing on curves.
STA71319m altd bogie tops.jpg
STA71321m altd bogies below.jpg
STA71318s new u floor point.jpg
STA71323s altd V1 fitted below.jpg
As two of those images show, the etched / printed bogie is wider than the cast one. I gather that a slightly narrower frame is in prospect for a revised version of the etch, which may help with the fitting of bearings to suit typical axle lengths. It may also be possible to arrange for deliberately thinner versions of the outer sides at a resin casting stage, although the strength of the tie rods (which probably require wire reinforcement in the resin) would be reduced. Some might prefer to take those off and substitute small brass strip or bar anyway.

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Some new alternative bolster-end parts have now appeared, for portrayal of an earlier version of the bogie with double leaf springs for the bolsters.
Other developments seem to be imminent too.
STA71328s.jpg
STA71324s.jpg
STA71326s.jpg

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Graeme,

I think some better photos of this project are in order?

Happy to help, if required.

John
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That's a good idea, when time and opportunity are right. Thank you.

On a wholly different theme I've been asked to cast a couple of copies of something a bit bigger than my usual pieces:
STA71330 LMS bk van plt.jpg

Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Hope you've not been asked to cast the whole wagon... :shock:
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

Would be interesting to know why a plate for this particular brake van was chosen.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Van in preservation I believe. Maybe the owner doesn't fancy leaving the real plates on the van, wherever it lives?

John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

Thanks. Entirely understandable that the owner would want to guard against the original plates going missing.

Quite an uncommon brake, as only 100 were built to Diagram 1940 as a 14' WB version of the Diagram 1657 brake, which had a 12' WB and was built in considerably larger quantities - in effect the LMS' first 'standard' goods brake. What seems a bit odd is that the LMS had already begun building a longer, 16' WB brake (Diagram 1890) a year earlier in 1933, so additional construction of the older design but with longer wheelbase doesn't seem to make much sense.

Fortuitously, this particular van happens to be illustrated Vol. 1 of Bob Essery's 'Illustrated History of LMS Wagons'.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

I have been playing with a version of the bogie that does not need an inner etch. Still a work in progress.
IMG_9897.JPG
IMG_9881.JPG
IMG_9883.JPG
Quicksilver95
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Quicksilver95 »

These look fantastic Mike - will you be making them available on your shapeways store as and when you feel they are up to standard?
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

I was not planning to. Shapeways are just too expensive nowadays.