Model railway exhibition wrecked by vandals

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Model railway exhibition wrecked by vandals

Post by nzpaul »

It's just sad...... I can't imagine what's floating around in these guys heads to want to cause others to feel as miserable as they obviously are. Good to see that the response from normal people will go some way to help.

Cheers
Paul
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I was horrified to see this on teletext yesterday.

Malcolm
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

Absolutely disgusting.

Some saving grace by the fact they were "caught in the act", I only hope their parents are made to foot the bill (and then they can use their foot on something else!).

I did notice a comment on one of the Facebook groups noting "shouldn't we start using places more secure than schools and village halls?" I can see the point in respect of village halls, but as most schools are like fortresses now, if these oxygen thieves can get in there, they can get in anywhere. The ability of the moron-criminal to break into almost anywhere must surely mean they would be ideal for use as insurgents into North korea?
Bantamcock
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Bantamcock »

Working for the Police, I daily deal with cases of criminal damage and often see the results of such cases. Unfortunately I think the justice system will fail the victims of this incident, particularly as the court will likely take into account the funds raised on the go fund me page.

The sentences, if it gets that far, may not reflect the offence, however, these youths need to be made an example of as I can only see that a crime like this was motivated by a prejudice or discrimination against the victims for having an interest in something far more intellectual than the perpetrators can understand.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Problem is with these "characters" is that they see any sort of Court appearance/criminal record, as a "medal of Honour". No doubt there'll be the usual list of now meaningless excuses trotted out. Just look what happened on the NYMR with the vandal attack on their teaks....... "Oh! We thought they were abandoned." Yes the the Buffet Car 641 was "abandoned" with a kitchen full of food and drink, i.e.Kit Kats and Coke. unmade teas and coffees, biscuits etc.
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Bantamcock wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:26 am Unfortunately I think the justice system will fail the victims of this incident, particularly as the court will likely take into account the funds raised on the go fund me page.
I think the justice system will fail the victims but not because of the donations given.

Why would the court take into account the kindness of strangers to a victim, and use that as mitigation of a crime ?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

A Horrible act of vandalism.

And as for the courts, nothing will happen to the 'Little Darlings', as usual, the Court system will Fail to do it's duty. :x :x :x

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I'm hearing from a friend who's a member of another MRC that a crowdfunding campaign has so far raised £86,000 (including a £10,000 donation from rock singer Rod Stewart), himself an avid modeller.

The generosity of people is sometimes quite stunning. Of course, it doesn't mitigate the anguish of losing countless hours of dedication and work put in by the club's members over the years. Wishing the best for everyone concerned.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

manna wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 pm....as for the courts, nothing will happen to the 'Little Darlings', as usual, the Court system will Fail to do it's duty. :x :x :x
For that to happen, the CPS has to decide whether or not Lincolnshire Police should charge the suspects, and for which offence(s):

Could be this one, for example

That decision will - one hopes - be based on information and evidence obtained by Lincolnshire Police. The CPS may decide for whatever reason that it's not worth it, so the Youth Courts / Magistrates wouldn't get a look in.

Interestingly, Lincolnshire Police were themselves taken to task last year for not properly recording reports of crime, so if you weren't exactly confident that justice was being done before, you probably won't be confident now.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Horsetan wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 pm
manna wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 pm....as for the courts, nothing will happen to the 'Little Darlings', as usual, the Court system will Fail to do it's duty. :x :x :x
For that to happen, the CPS has to decide whether or not Lincolnshire Police should charge the suspects, and for which offence(s):

Could be this one, for example

That decision will - one hopes - be based on information and evidence obtained by Lincolnshire Police. The CPS may decide for whatever reason that it's not worth it, so the Youth Courts / Magistrates wouldn't get a look in.

Interestingly, Lincolnshire Police were themselves taken to task last year for not properly recording reports of crime, so if you weren't exactly confident that justice was being done before, you probably won't be confident now.
G'Day Gents

So I take it a 'Public Flogging' followed be 'Hanging, Drawing and Quartering', and having their entrails burnt, Whilst still alive, Won't be happening........................!!!! Know wonder the UK is in such a mess. :twisted:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Quite.

An "understanding" and "humanitarian" approach to criminals who show no regard for their victims is wholly inappropriate. Yobbos, degenerates and imbeciles need to be made utterly terrified of the system of law enforcement and punishment. Those who, either out of malice or for some form of perverse entertainment, damage or destroy the property of others who have done nothing to directly provoke such an attack, or who deliberately damage / destroy public property, should suffer savage retribution. The same should go for theft and burglary.

Admirable as all the pledges of money may be, I fail to see the reason for anybody but the offenders and their parents to offering to help to foot the bill when the insurers have not yet been required to cough up.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Punishment or not peoples lives and souls cannot be replaced by material recompense or donations. I can only hope that any individuals responsible for this dreadful act will at some time in their lives come to appreciate the heart break they have caused.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:43 am....An "understanding" and "humanitarian" approach to criminals who show no regard for their victims is wholly inappropriate. Yobbos, degenerates and imbeciles need to be made utterly terrified of the system of law enforcement and punishment....
This is where you need the Chinese Government to run things. Just like they do in Xinjiang.