Old photo or Claud Hamilton 8900 and

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

NickTatham
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Old photo or Claud Hamilton 8900 and

Post by NickTatham »

The attached inherited photo shows the Claud Hamilton 8900. In front are the people who worked on building or rebuilding the locomotive. Back row, 4th from the left, with quiff and bow tie, is my grandfather Jack Tatham. He was a foreman blacksmith and was born in 1880. He was born and lived in Stratford.

My father said he helped build this locomotive. I don't know much about railways and history but after reading a bit I have concluded the following.

This was the Stratford Railway works.
LNER in the loco means it was taken after grouping in 1923.
The 8900 means it was taken after the conversion of this loco to a D16/3 in 1936.

Am I right so far?

I have read that this loco spent much of its life at the Stratford works so there is a possibility that it was just some annual photo and they used the loco as a nice background!

My great-grandfather was born in Stony Stratford in 1850. He was a spring maker. Then he turns up in Stratford when my Grandfather was born. Does it sound reasonable that he started work at the Wolverton works and then somehow moved, was transferred or poached by Stratford works perhaps?

Nick
Attachments
Old picture of Claud Hamilton 8900
Old picture of Claud Hamilton 8900