Layout Design Help needed.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jamesbowers
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Layout Design Help needed.

Post by jamesbowers »

I am a completely novice modeler. I have, what I guess is most modelers’ dream, which is a heated cellar in which I have put a 40 feet long baseboard. I have set up a 12 foot double track oval with some sidings just to get used to laying track and getting to install and run DCC. My problem is that I have not got a clue on how to design a layout. I now all the advice is that it is a personal thing, to just do abit at a time and the layout will develop. Unfortunately I do not have the time ( I am 81 years old) I don’t want a particular era I just want to lay track, run trains and then add scenery etc later if there is time, I realize this has to be done to a plan. I have looked at plan books, videos etc and then when I look at my baseboard I think where the heck do I start. As a last resort I found a company that can do everything from building a baseboard to building the layout but they can’t look at my problem until January next year and the cost would probably be too high anyway. I need someone who likes to design layouts as they have gone as far as the can with their own, to design a layout that would fit my baseboard which I can build myself.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Layout Design Help needed.

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I know a couple of people who have done this sort of thing for others in the past and have drawn their attention to your request, although they may have other matters filling their time these days. Stay tuned.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Layout Design Help needed.

Post by Hatfield Shed »

James (I presume!)
It will be helpful to know the complete dimensions of the 40 feet of baseboard, and whether any side of it runs along a wall. And also what scale do you wish to use?

You may usefully occupy your time, with thoughts around the following information:
What length of trains you wish to run?
How many trains and of what length you would ideally have on the layout (it gets tiresome taking trains on and off the rails!)?
Do you want continuous running only or provision for a terminus to terminus operation?
Any features required, station, goods yard, loco shed, industrial site, 'branch line' in addition to a 'main line'?