5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: 5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

Post by greenglade »

Today was a big day in 4472's construction, for the first time the boiler shell has been test-fitted on the frames and bloody good it looks if I say so myself.... beginning to look even more like a Gresley loco now...:)

Pete
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Excellent work there sir.

Its amazing to think of the amount of time, skill and experience it takes to create a masterpiece and I have to say sir you have done very well with the loco and I am looking forward to seeing her fully finished.

Well done.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Mersey508138 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:59 pm Excellent work there sir.

Its amazing to think of the amount of time, skill and experience it takes to create a masterpiece and I have to say sir you have done very well with the loco and I am looking forward to seeing her fully finished.

Well done.
Thank you, I can't take credit for the boiler which as mentioned previously is being made by a professional boilermaker (Southern Boilers) who I have to say is doing a superb job with a number of special requests from me being taken care off to make it as close as possible to a scale backhead as physics allows.

Just to bring things up to date, this is today's latest picture...

Kind regards

Pete
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Great work Pete, nice to see the boiler is done
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

burnie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 pm Great work Pete, nice to see the boiler is done
Nearly done sir, backhead and internal steam pipes are due to be fitted by end of day tomorrow... I can't take credit for the boiler though, that's all Paul's work of Southern Boiler Works...

Cheers

Pete
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Having no idea of what's normal in 5 inch gauge, I'm impressed to see provision for superheating.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:14 pm Having no idea of what's normal in 5 inch gauge, I'm impressed to see provision for superheating.

superheating is pretty much the norm in 5" and smaller although not every design has it, my 3 1/2 Great Northern for example is superheated but in comparison to 4472 it's just a toy.
For this model, I guess you could say that I'm 'pushing the boat out' a little. Just about everything that works on the full-size loco will also be working on this model although only that that was fitted for my chosen era of 1939.
So, yes it's superheated and the superheater will have a working anti-vacuum valve (as do most live steam models), it's vacuum brakes will be fully operational, monitored with a working duplex gauge, the tender handbrake also works, as do the vacuum connections either end of the loco/tender to connect to carriages with working vacuum brakes. The sanding gear will be just as per full size, leading driver wheels serviced by a gravity sanding box while the middle driver is served with a steam sanding box. Lubrication again will be as per full size, Wakefield Mechanical lubricators, one for the cylinders and the other for the main axles. All axles both loco and tender have their own oil tray's etc as per full size. Cartazzi axle works, motion is all to Gresley design with the required oiling pots etc, etc The backhead will be fully working with no dummy gauges, the only part that I won't do is the carriage heating although there will be a working gauge to show, there will be an awful lot of pipework running between the frames when finished. On the backhead we have the two steam valves, these will be to scale, undecided yet as to whether the clacks will be incorporated in the valve or hidden under the cab floor, this depends on testing. Water gauges will look scale except for the sight glass is slightly higher, I need to be able to see the water level clearly at all times. Two working injectors mounted under the cab as, yes you get it, per full-size..:) Then there's the manifold with working steam sanding, blower, ejector, boiler pressure, carriage warming, lubricator warming stop valves. The ashpan dampers will work.. well I think you can get the idea, the list is pretty exhaustive and I've barely touched on it, this is why I still have a good few years before completing the model. In short, this model will hopefully be a true representation of a full size working Gresley A1, both in looks and in how it steams/operates.

Just to bring things up to date, here's the latest picture showing a near completed boiler, not much left to do now, stay ends need cutting off, a good clean in acid and then a pressure test, for this boiler, it will be hydraulically pumped up to 200PSI and held at that for two hours, if she passes that she's ready for many years, perhaps decades of steaming....fingers crossed that the test goes well next week...:)

cheers

Pete
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

All extremely impressive.
Please may I ask about any 'steam collector' and/or dome. There don't seem to be any openings on the above picture.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

drmditch wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:41 am All extremely impressive.
Please may I ask about any 'steam collector' and/or dome. There don't seem to be any openings on the above picture.
you certainly may ask sir.....this picture should answer your question. You may note that the manifold flange is to scale, as will be the manifold and it's various stop valves themselves. This will be 3D printed and then cast in Bronze by Cro Fittings, I will do all of the machining. Using 3D prints means I can include detail not possible when making by hand, for example, such things as all of the wording on the handles identifying what each handle operates

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Today is a very good day, the boiler has now passed her twice operating pressure by holding 200PSI for two hours, just a few small finishing touches to be done and I can then collect this Friday, needless to say, I'm very excited about this....:)

cheers

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Here you go chaps... the finished boiler. Hopefully, I'll get the time and help to test it's fit on the chassis this weekend, it's er, rather heavy...:)

Cheers

Pete
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Cor blimey, that's shiny.
Having that piece of the puzzle sorted must raise the excitement level :mrgreen:
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

nzpaul wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:13 am Cor blimey, that's shiny.
Having that piece of the puzzle sorted must raise the excitement level :mrgreen:
just a 'tad' sir, just a 'tad'...:)

Pete
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Bet you cannot wait to get the loco fired up and carry out a steam test and see her move under power for the 1st time.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Mersey508138 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:56 pm Bet you cannot wait to get the loco fired up and carry out a steam test and see her move under power for the 1st time.

very true, but I am a good few years away from that exciting day, but hey, each step completed is a step nearer to that day...:)

Pete