G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - B3/1 & B7 available; B3/2 in progress

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - B3-2 & B7 to follow

Post by LNER4479 »

Woodcock29 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm Hi Graham
Looking good. One comment, if I may, if the model is going to be Valour I would have thought it would have had a low dome by the time it was fitted with Wakefield lubrication on the LHS? If you have a photo that proves otherwise I'd be interested to see it.
Regards
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

You are unerringly accurate with that observation. The dome choice and thus fixing in place was done based on the well-known picture of 6165 at Nottingham. As, always, right at the death a later picture turns up showing the loco with a boiler with low dome... The lubricator choice was selected - in consultation with the intended owner - to minimise the unsightly pipework wiggling its way along the boiler.

Anyhow, let's just keep that as our little secret, eh? :wink:
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
scratcher
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - B3-2 & B7 to follow

Post by scratcher »

Added your name to the list
Thanks!
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Waiting to see if Mike Edge gets his new delivery of GCR 4000 gallon tender etches in time for RailEx; he's out of stock at present.

Have got all the wheelsets and hornblocks/bearings in now, plus the nameplates. Still trying to work out if the inside motion can be expanded in any way to include crossheads, slidebars, etc. :roll:
Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

I have just started work on my 2mm scale version of Valour using the etches that Nick Easton very kindly had reduced. It’s described on the Copenhagen Fields thread.

Tim
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Obtaining 9P GAs and related drawings (other than the one printed in E.M. Johnson's Vol.2) is turning out to be a real pain. NRM's archive does not hold anything on the 9Ps. My understanding is that MOSI in Manchester has one or more of the drawings, but their online pages are unhelpful and I've not yet been able to contact a member of staff who can pinpoint what I'm after. So far the measurements I've had a squint at are:

Inside cylinder centres: 2' apart = 8mm, i.e. 12" (4mm) either side of frame centre-line
Inside cranks, circular web, diameter: 1'11.25" = about 8mm dia. As the crank throw was 13", this puts the "pin" for the big end very close to the perimeter.
Inside connecting rod centres: 6'6" = 26mm
Eccentric rod centres: 4'4" = 17.1mm

....and that's it. Four-bar slidebars and matching cruciform crossheads and eccentrics are available from Brassmasters, from the T9 inside motion kit. Alternatively, cheat and use some of their 4F inside motion kit which works on similar principles to the 9P.

In the bad old days, Exactoscale used to offer a Peter K/Rod Neep inside motion kit intended for the 11F/D11, and maybe some of the links levers and brackets could be adapted from that.

I did manage to acquire a Judith Edge "horseshoe" 4000 gallon tender, though this is restricted to fairly short periods of Valour's life - most notably the last two years before withdrawal when she was likely to have been in black with "N E" on the tender.

If a self-trimming wide-body tender kit were available (none since Perseverance went down the tubes), that would extend things back to mid-1933 onwards and allow the use of the Robinson-style chimney that I opted for.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Horsetan

Although my B3 will be Lord Faringdon with std 4000 gallon tender (as I already have built a model of Valour with ST tender), I'm using a spare Bachmann D11 ST tender for the B7 once that becomes available. Not sure how you'd get one from Bachmann though as mine is off my Prince Albert which is to be paired with a std 4000 gallon tender when I eventually turn it into an LNER period D11 as Marne.

Andrew
Last edited by Woodcock29 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Woodcock29 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:50 am....I'm using a spare Bachmann D11 ST tender for the B7 once that becomes available. Not sure how you'd get one from Bachmann though ...
There is a bloke on eBay who has broken a Bachmann D11 into bits and is offering them at vastly inflated prices. The tender would work out at 70 quid if both components are bought, which probably makes it cheaper to buy a complete D11.... :lol:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

No surprises regarding the ambitious level of Ebay prices then.......

MOSI is worth a visit anyway, so if the only way you can get any attention is to present yourself at the place then even if they cannot find or supply the drawings, you'll still have something interesting to look at.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Horsetan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:12 am If a self-trimming wide-body tender kit were available (none since Perseverance went down the tubes), that would extend things back to mid-1933 onwards and allow the use of the Robinson-style chimney that I opted for.
You mean this one?
BLK0552master4mm.jpg
Why didn't say
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

billbedford wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:15 am
Horsetan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:12 am If a self-trimming wide-body tender kit were available (none since Perseverance went down the tubes), that would extend things back to mid-1933 onwards and allow the use of the Robinson-style chimney that I opted for.
You mean this one?

BLK0552master4mm.jpg

Why didn't say
Well, hello sailor! :lol:

....errm, is there an underframe / chassis?
billbedford
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by billbedford »

Yours for £22.50

This would be a bare printed shell

There was an etched underframe, but I would need about half a dozen orders before I would want to make new tools for the underframe.

The price for the full kit would be about £40
Bill Bedford
Mousa Models
http://www.mousa-models.co.uk
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well this is an interesting revelation, and would have been even more welcome at an earlier point.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:04 am...MOSI is worth a visit anyway, so if the only way you can get any attention is to present yourself at the place then even if they cannot find or supply the drawings, you'll still have something interesting to look at.
I have just managed to get in touch with an officer who deals with image licensing. At a cost of £20 plus VAT he has managed to procure for me a Beyer Peacock GA for the 9Q/B7 (which has some useful bits on it) and is finding out for me whether the 9P/B3 drawings can be tracked down.

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:49 pm
billbedford wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:33 am Yours for £22.50

This would be a bare printed shell

There was an etched underframe, but I would need about half a dozen orders before I would want to make new tools for the underframe.

The price for the full kit would be about £40
Well this is an interesting revelation, and would have been even more welcome at an earlier point.
I'm happy to add my name to the order list for the etched underframe or the full tender kit if anyone else is up for this.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

The full kit for this tender has its attractions...
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

iainkirk wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:48 pm The full kit for this tender has its attractions...
If you're in, I'm in.