Mystery 4mm kit

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Mystery 4mm kit

Post by mick b »

Has anyone any ideas re below one plank wagon please?. Nothing similar in the Tatlow volumes . At a guess pre grouping LMS area ?

Wagon has 15 foot wheelbase , the Buffers were in the same bag so maybe not correct.

IMG_8588.JPG
IMG_8587.JPG
fullsizeoutput_23e7.jpeg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Mystery 4mm kit

Post by jwealleans »

Dave Geen LNWR or L & Y?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks

Trying to find any photos of Bolster Wagons (which I presume this is ) are rather elusive !!!.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

David Geen 2009 listing shows a MR version only.

Looking at the oblong wagon plate on the kit and finding this photo as well, which has the same sides planks as the kit I have , it will be made up as a tatty LMS double bolster wagon. If I find anything else out it (which I doubt) could always be repainted !!

Midland bolster.jpg
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

The axleboxes are highly distinctive and to me strongly resemble a Great Central oil box design. Taking that as my starting point, I've had a look through Tatlow Vol.1 and am drawn towards this being a GC 10 ton double bolster to LNE-C diagram 83. There are two photographs of such a vehicle on p.158, and the layout of the various fittings on the model seems to correspond quite closely. The axleboxes don't correspond, but that doesn't trouble me unduly because the first photograph is of a vehicle equipped with grease boxes, whilst the second appears to show a later design of split axlebox. Can't see any reason why wagons of this design might not have been fitted with the oil boxes like those in the kit at some stage in their life.

Maker of the kit: I have no idea.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I think JP is on the right trail. I believe R & E models produced a kit for the GC 10 ton Rail & Timber truck, (wagon as pictured in George Dow's GCR Album, p111) which appears to match. I don't know whether the R & E kit (if I'm right about that much) was cast or etched.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks again, I made the mistake of looking at axle boxes too closely when viewing the photos, the oblong works plates didn't help either :) . I agree the photos match the kit, even the buffers are now the correct type, so an excellent result !! . Now to build it.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hi Mick,

I found an old R & E price list this afternoon. The GCR rail and timber truck was certainly listed, but apparently only in 7mm scale and was an etched item, so the maker of your kit remains a mystery.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Graeme
Thanks for looking.

The kit, had on arrival typical twin posts on the end for fitting the wide old style tension lock couplings , these I removed prior to the photos being taken, I have already shown. The same type of posts were on D&S white metal kits as well, and looked the same shape as on the kit. I don't think it is D&S , as the castings are not the same quality as D&S offerings, I doubt D&S would have made them with the "huge in scale terms " slab of rectangular metal representing the works plates for example on the sole bars which actually protrudes in front of the solebar ! and now removed.

I have no idea what D&S GCR white metal kits were made in the past, I only have a NER/LNER list only .