G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - B3/1 & B7 available; B3/2 in progress

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

croesnewydd
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - B3-2 & B7 to follow

Post by croesnewydd »

10411 2 LNER GCR 2) GA of 4-6-0 passr engine B3 Class GC/LNE
I got this from the NRM back in 2014 - it is still on their lists.

I also have the B7/9Q from MOSI but this has to be stitched together since is comes in around 70 blocks

John
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: G-Train Locomotive Works / Graeme King Joint Venture - GCR/LNER 4-6-0s - B3-2 & B7 to follow

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A useful reference, thank you.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

The kit makes up very well for the motion bracket and slide-bars, but it is a bit fiddly!

If anyone can produce a good clean GA of the 9P, I would be happy to pay costs. The drawing in Johnson’s book is very frustrating to try and interpret.

Tim
9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

Tim,

If it is what is what rather than dimensions you are trying to get your head around, if you have not already done so,
then you could do worse than look at the close up of the 9Q on p105 and the part-dismantled 9Q on page 118 of EM Johnson's book.

Simon
Last edited by 9E on Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Tim Watson wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:15 pm....If anyone can produce a good clean GA of the 9P, I would be happy to pay costs. The drawing in Johnson’s book is very frustrating to try and interpret. ...
I have scanned the MOSI drawing in Johnson vol.2 and can zoom in well enough to read at least some of the measurements, but a clean GA (and its related drawings) would be better. At the time when I bought the 9Q GA (excellent as a full-res colour digital download, by the way) from SSPL, I did ask the image licensing officer at the Science Museum Group if he could help me track down the 9P one, and he said he would ask his colleague about availability. Not had any comeback so far.

In the meantime, the Brassmasters inside motion etches (plus some ex-Finney brass eccentrics out of the T9 kit) have arrived and now begins the head-scratching process of tailoring the etch parts to fit. The ex-Finney eccentrics speak for themselves and are easy to use, but the lead axle crank webs - which are also circular - are not much bigger and I can see a fine old time trying to either:

1. adapt what are etched eccentric cams into cranks! or
2. use the T9 cast brass cranks, but severely reduce the webs (which are massive) to something approximating the 9P/B3 shape.

The B3/1 frames have been marked out for CSB pivots using the suggested measurements given on the CLAG website, with one drill bit snapped so far to show for it.
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

I know it’s not the purist’s way, but why not simply drive the internal valve gear from the Finney eccentrics, with rockers connecting to the outside cylinder valves, as per the kit. You simply won’t see the internal pistons, crossheads & con rods working, as they are at the bottom of the frames.

I have represented the top of the internal valve gear on my engine, but I doubt that making the outside valves move will be particularly visible, tucked up under the valance with the drain cock linkages in front.

Tim
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

To wear, or not to wear the hair shirt, that is the question....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Tim Watson wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:41 am I know it’s not the purist’s way, but why not simply drive the internal valve gear from the Finney eccentrics, with rockers connecting to the outside cylinder valves, as per the kit...

I had considered this, but......
...You simply won’t see the internal pistons, crossheads & con rods working, as they are at the bottom of the frames.

I have represented the top of the internal valve gear on my engine, but I doubt that making the outside valves move will be particularly visible, tucked up under the valance with the drain cock linkages in front.
.....there is so much open space between the frames in that area that to me it seemed a shame not to try to fill it. In a way, I blame Graham :mrgreen: for designing in the partial valve gear with "short-cut" eccentrics in the first place, and I thought why not just go the whole hog? The drawings for it sort-of exist.....
Atlantic 3279 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:49 am To wear, or not to wear the hair shirt, that is the question....
It's not because I want to. I have to.
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Been a while since any last update, however things are happening in the background. As you will have seen from Graeme's (3279) thread, there is progress towards bringing the self-trimming tender etch to market and my New Year's resolution is to crack on with the B7 and B3-2 test builds.

In the meantime, thought you'd like to see this, courtesy of Tony Wright's camera at the Southampton show:
Valour complete Grantham_2 (TW).jpg
The prototype build has returned from the paint shop (Ian Rathbone) and is seen here posed on Grantham's turntable.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

That is a very fine locomotive.

Tim
LNER4479

Post by LNER4479 »

Thanks Tim, that's very kind coming from someone like yourself. It is certainly pleasing to see it turn out like that after ... well, something like two years in the making.

VERY much looking forward to seeing the 2mm version once complete and following your build of that with a mixture of awe and fascination.

No resting on laurels though - must crack on with the B7 test build as best I can.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
Paul_sterling

Post by Paul_sterling »

Absolutely beautiful, reminds me that there is much room for improvement in my own model-making skills.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Paul.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

Drooling here. Mine is, sadly, still in its box waiting for me to get around to it. But hey!- this Christmas just gone I received a building jig, now just wheels, gears and motor to source and then I can make a start.
iainkirk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by iainkirk »

A magnificent beast!
Drooling factor? 10 out of 10
Perfection is impossible, however I may choose to serve perfection - Robert Fripp
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Very kind!

(Remainder of original post was wrongly place here and has now been relocated)