Atlantic's works: Portable layout update

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Atlantic's works: A proper vintage carriage.

Post by Dave »

Very nice Graeme.
There was no lining to the vertical beading where it passed through a word.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Thanks Dave. I've now applied a running number and obliterated the yellow lining where it passes through the word "Restaurant" on each side of the carriage, but I've left the lining in place on the bead between the two words, although I'm not sure whether that is correct. I've only seen one example of a real panelled and lined teak LNER diner or sleeper with vertical beading in the clear space between the two words. In that case there was also a doorway there, and hence there was full vertical lining too.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Graeme.
I will send you a drawing which should explain the principals I hope, but it is generic to restaurant cars.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Deleted as I hadn't finished my post and couldn't delete it
Last edited by Woodcock29 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Graeme
On Steve Banks website there is a photo of the first Dia 11 RF which has no lining on the beading between the two words which rather surprised me I must say.

By the way I've been following the building of this coach with great interest and you've produced an excellent result as usual!

Andrew
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Graeme.

Drawings sent, including one where a door is, hope they help.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Woodcock29 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 am Graeme
On Steve Banks website there is a photo of the first Dia 11 RF which has no lining on the beading between the two words which rather surprised me I must say.

By the way I've been following the building of this coach with great interest and you've produced an excellent result as usual!

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. That possibly complicates things. Maybe I should delete the lining from the intervening vertical moulding, even though it does not pass through a word. Dave's drawing conversely confirms uninterrupted lining to intervening doorways....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

My understanding was that there was no vertical lining where it crossed lettering, even if in the gap between words. That was from Harris and I think the drawing Dave has sent you as well.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Being in this instance nothing if not thorough, I've acted on Jonathan's comments and referred back to Dave's drawings and (yet again) to my Harris books. I can't see specific coverage of beading (without a doorway) in the space between words, on the drawings. The near-identical texts relating to lining and lettering in Harris' "LNER Standard Gresley Carriages" and "LNER Carriages" do not as far as I can see tell me the answer either, nor did anything I read in the Harris book on the post-1905 ECJS and GNR stock.
In "LNER Standard Gresley Carriages" I do now however notice a picture of a sleeper twin, with un-lined beading in the space between the words "Sleeping" and "Car". That seems to agree with Andrew's observation from Banks' website.

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Photo of the LNERCA LNER Restaurant car on the NYMR with stripes between lettering. I would be very surprised if it is not correct ? .

14027550622_5b32de73a8_b.jpg
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

I'd struggle to find on which forum and by whom, especially since the previous iterations of RMWeb have been removed with the loss of so much valuable content, but I do recall this matter being discussed and concluded previously, with the definitive answer being that vertical lining was NOT applied between words.

It may have been Nick Campling or Mike Trice, or maybe someone else, but the absence was proven.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

That is my understanding too. I think it might be provable with various official photos, but they are not to hand at present.

John
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

Funny you should mention the official photos. Went through them tonight and in each case the vertical lining is missing where it bisects the lettering or words.

Where a door was placed between the words they were lined as normal.
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Sorry I can't help more at this stage. I'm on holiday in Queensland at the moment. If I was at home I could browse the info I have gathered off the net over the last few years, particularly photos of restaurant cars and also a range of Isinglass drawings I have.

As I was about to post this I noted Mike Trice's post - I think that settles it.

Andrew
MikeTrice

Post by MikeTrice »

mick b wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 pm Photo of the LNERCA LNER Restaurant car on the NYMR with stripes between lettering. I would be very surprised if it is not correct ? .
14027550622_5b32de73a8_b.jpg
I would not assume it is correct, in fact the official photos suggest it is not. Also incorrect on this carriage is the upper lining is too long, it should terminate 1" from the beading, and the "RESTAURANT CAR" lettering is too large.

SVR version for comparison:
IMG_5742.JPG
Correct length of vertical lining here:
NYMR NRM 2010 IMG_1256 MT.JPG