Ian Kirk push pull autocoach

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Daryl
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Ian Kirk push pull autocoach

Post by Daryl »

I’m just about to start building the Ian Kirk 4mm kit of a push-pull autocoach.
I have a few questions if anyone can answer them.
What prototype is the kit based on
In BR days circa 1960 what livery did they carry
Was there seats inside or benches
We’re the seats/benches in the compartment behind the cab along the side of the carriage or across
Possible serial numbers and location on the carriage
Am I correct in thinking the kit is based on the Epping and Ongar push pull coaches
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Ian Kirk push pull autocoach

Post by 65447 »

I’m just about to start building the Ian Kirk 4mm kit of a push-pull autocoach.
I have a few questions if anyone can answer them.

What prototype is the kit based on
The Dia. 64 or 65 4 compartment Brake Third, converted around 1940. The difference between the two diagrams was 3" in the overall width, not noticeable in 4mm scale. In all 7 were converted, of which 2 were allocated to the GE Section - post-1943 nos. 86058 and 86135

In BR days circa 1960 what livery did they carry
The stock was withdrawn in 1959 still in Crimson livery

Was there seats inside or benches
We’re the seats/benches in the compartment behind the cab along the side of the carriage or across
The 4 compartments had 4-a-side seating the full width of the compartment

Possible serial numbers and location on the carriage
See above for numbers, which were located as follows:
With the driving cab to the right - centrally in the upper panel under the driving side window to the right of the door, which was marked DRIVER.
With the driving cab to the left - centrally in the upper panel below the RH window to the last compartment on the right.

Am I correct in thinking the kit is based on the Epping and Ongar push pull coaches
Yes

There are a few other points to look out for, in addition to the standard carriage ends - both ends had doubled up electrical connections, as did any adjoining carriage in the set, whilst the bunker of the Push-Pull fitted tank engine had one set. These were to carry control signals. These was also a control gear box below the end windows and a pair of horns above.

I'll PM you some additional details.
Daryl
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Daryl »

Hi Mike,
Excellent, thanks for the info, I've read your PM but can't reply as apparently I need to partake in more topics before this feature is authorised!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Daryl wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:26 pm Hi Mike,
Excellent, thanks for the info, I've read your PM but can't reply as apparently I need to partake in more topics before this feature is authorised!
Better get posting then... :)