Margate Gresley teak finish - transparent colouring

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Margate Gresley teak finish - transparent colouring

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hornby "Margate" Gresley teak finish - transparent colouring:
I wish to share a simple paint job method successful for my fairly ordinary level of modelling, using the the "transparent" clear Humbrol colours 1321/1322/1325. You need only mask the roof, and there is no need for re-lettering or re-lining.

Both the Humbrol green 1325 and the orange 1322 are the basis.
First with a tiny brush (2 O or similar) highlight random individual panels by brushing either green or orange, or a mix of both. Do this once or twice. (Orange over green turns light brown). Tiny threads of red 1321 can be used for additional highlight if used with care.
So the panel variations found in the original are replicated, as evidenced on the double doors in the photo.
Finish with an overall spray of orange, one, two or three coats depending on how dark you want.

For other highlights on some models (wheels, gangway doors, solebar) I use Humbrol #62 with a #1322 gloss finish on the doors.

The body is is separated from the glazing, underframe etc.
Coach ends are done by hand separately.
I mask the roof, but not the lettering and lining. They remain bright and visible through the finish.
This is a really quick and viable method for what I believe is an improvement on the as-is plastic shell version.

While this is not a particularly good photo, it indicates what I achieved.
This coach was made in China (from set R1039). I have done the same with R477 and R478.
gresleybrake3rd-4236-refurb.jpg
(Note: The intensity of clear colour can vary between Humbrol tins particularly with age, so some experimentation may be necessary. These may be useful, as the natural teak wood finish showed variations anyway.)

Kimball
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Margate Gresley teak finish - transparent colouring

Post by Chas Levin »

Thanks Kimball, it's always very interesting (and useful) to read about teak finish techniques - it's such a wide subject. There are so many different appearances of teak out there... :)
Chas
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Chas,
Thanks.
In fact I can only imagine (not having tried except on the vestibule doors) that the clear colour technique would work for a scratch or kit-built model. ln that case you would use an overall base colour of Humbrol #62.

Kimball
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Some of the lining on the carriage shown is a total fantasy.

Not the fault of kimballt. I might add.

John
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Chas,
I have always understood the "Margate" Gresleys in both brake/coach and coach are not replicas of a real item.
That said, I can understand the panelling and lining are probably just as unreal.

However in a toy trainset environment they have a purpose I guess - certainly profitable from the company's point of view.
I do like to figure out ways of "improving" them.
But I cannot bring myself to cutting and shutting to create a full brake, or a restaurant car.
Just too much work.

Kimball