Detailing tenders

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Detailing tenders

Post by john coffin »

Looking at the work Tim Watson has done on the tender for Valour brings an important question to mind.

As a kit designer, I try to get as much detail in as possible, but there does come a point when you wonder if
it would be better to include less.

A number of people have their tenders filled with coal, whilst others have a half filled one. So do you need
all the interior detail?

The GC tender that Tim is working on is a self trimming one, with a complex coal space, but more problematic
for a designer, is the section over the shovelling hole, where the toolboxes have a curved bottom, which if there
is a lot of coal, is never seen. In the same way, certain tank engines have weird shapes where the bunker and
cab ends meet.

So you wise and experienced people do you NEED all the detail, or is it just a waste that means the job takes
longer to make.

Paul
drmditch

Re: Detailing tenders

Post by drmditch »

Not sure I am either wise or experienced, but I do like to model locomotives with different levels of coal in their tenders or bunkers.
With some models one is obliged to give them a 'full loads', as if they had just left the coaling plant.

So, the option to have at least a half empty tender is useful.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Another matter to consider in these technologically advanced days is that the coal space in the tender is often the only space available for a [cube] speaker for DCC-sound, and it might behove kit designers to provide for that by way of a degree of future-proofing their products.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

that is the reason I posted this question.
Are there different sizes of DCC cubes, and anyway, does anyone have any dimensions of those which are available now?

The might well cause a problem for the older smaller tenders I am more interested in producing,since their tanks are
often only about 12-16 mm high. With well tanks they might well be easier, subject to their overall length because of
the wheelbase and axles.

Two interesting comments, thanks

Paul
exile
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by exile »

I do not model a steam shed, so I neither need tenders nearly empty nor completely full. In the latter case that has been forced on me due to tender drives however. That does not really help with the question since ideally kits (and rtr) would give me a half full/well in use perspective.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Whilst it might not simplify construction, is there any case for separate, drop-in bunker spaces, say one empty and fully detailed, on to suit "half-full" and one only suited to a fully coaled tender (which would also suit those who primarily want an electronic sound toy, that also happens to look like a steam loco).
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I prefer a fully modelled bunker space, to load with coal as required. (Save money manufacturers, by not bothering with fake coal loads.)

If a fully modelled bunker is too expensive due to complexity, do your best to represent as far down as possible, half capacity as a minimum.

Leave owners wanting sound effects to make their own arrangements.