Bachmann 2012

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

IAK
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Bachmann 2012

Post by IAK »

Well if some re-riveting is needed for those of us with such pernickity tastes then so be it I say...
It may mean the D11/1's will be spot on or do I need a cold shower...?
Of course the thought of us discussing such minutiae with regards a mass produced beastie is bizarre and wonderful at the same time, they are getting "that" good...
Small additional increments are transformative.

http://padgateworks.wordpress.com/
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Yet more sly fiddling :?: :?: with the delivery date for Butler-Henderson, which was when I ordered it, due for delivery last month , then was changed to this month (without the courtesy of any direct notification to customers) and now according to the NRM shop web page may be "late October or early November".

How many of us in small businesses or self-employment would still have any customers from which to earn a living if we repeatedly failed to meet our own forecasts of delivery or completion dates for goods or services? I am disgusted by the way that larger organisations are allowed to get away with inefficiency and (in some cases) blatant dishonesty simply because they can claim that no specific person can be identified as being responsible for the mess.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Bachmann 2012/J39

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Manna,yep saw a J39 bravely striding past Finsbury Park, Autumn sun light 8.30-9pm,'55/'56 ex works, which emblem on tender long forgotten sorry, with a long Fish Empties, maybe 30+in tow northbound Hull or Grimsby? normally from memory it would be a grubby.K3 on this turn,only one I ever saw in the London Area,even if they reached Stratford,seem to remember the North Eastern Region banning them on passenger work due to one leaving the rails @ speed, top heavy or bad trackwork?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Ooh, sudden thread resuscitation! And here we are seven years on, still with no progress from Bachmann on a new mechanism for their old J39 mouldings! (I have stuffed mine with the mechanism from a J11; being an operator above all else, resulting slight inaccuracies come a long way second to 'operable loco'. The wheelbase is a dreadful scale inch out...)

Not that the J39 is a terribly useful loco in the KX area in BR days. Sightings relatively few, because a K3 or larger was typically what was required. Then again it is an 0-6-0, and every steam railway must have 0-6-0s regularly on view.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

While researching for Grantham, I read somewhere that J39s were banned on the GNML south of there. Naturally I cannot now recall where I read it or find it again, so I have no idea whether the author was anyone credible or not. I've only ever read it in one place. Given that, practically, the plethora of (mainly) J6s would render them surplus to requirements anyway, their scarcity is self explanatory without being formalised. Has anyone else ever come across this hypothetical ban or have an idea why it might have been imposed?
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi,well the J39 number came back to me in the dark hours of insomnia twixt 11pm& 4.30am, a light bulb moment, may help the modellers it was 64966 .rockin john
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you rockinjohn, it's nice to know than J39's did actually run on Kings Cross division, albeit, late and rarely. I had heard that the odd one did also turn up from Stratford.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

jwealleans wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 pm While researching for Grantham, I read somewhere that J39s were banned on the GNML south of there. Naturally I cannot now recall where I read it or find it again, so I have no idea whether the author was anyone credible or not. I've only ever read it in one place. Given that, practically, the plethora of (mainly) J6s would render them surplus to requirements anyway, their scarcity is self explanatory without being formalised. Has anyone else ever come across this hypothetical ban or have an idea why it might have been imposed?
Read this 'somewhere' in the past, but no recollection of where. But look at the GN main line shed allocations south of Grantham. 0-6-0's progressively 'fade away' over the last forty years of steam operation. Mineral workings got eight coupled or K3, Goods K2, K3, V2 and on occasion pacifics. It's all about shifting the traffic London-Grantham rather faster than would be comfortable with an 0-6-0. The pick up and trip goods workings might get a J6, but in the London suburban area most of this was done by the numerous J52, J50, N1, N2 allocations