The Jazz Service on Facebook

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Palace Gates
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

The Jazz Service on Facebook

Post by Palace Gates »

“The Last Word in Steam-Operated Suburban Train Services” - In 1920, the Great Eastern Railway completely overhauled and intensified its suburban rail services from Liverpool Street, and also introduced a colour-coded system that differentiated first and second class coaches (yellow & blue banding) and had specifically coloured boards on the guard’s van to indicate the train’s destination.

The lurid colour scheme that resulted was described as ‘jazzy’ in the common parlance of the day and led to the whole operation being nicknamed ‘The Jazz Service’. The nickname and the intense service continued under both the London and North Eastern Railway in 1923 and British Railways after Nationalisation in 1948, right through to the final withdrawal of steam traction in 1962 and beyond. Electrification would have cost "the poor man's line" the modern equivalent £128 million+ and incurred huge disruption to services and income, whereas The Jazz achieved the same results for under £3.5 million at today’s prices with minimal alteration and interruption.

On this Facebook site you will find historical photographs, information and, most importantly, anecdotes from the fine Chaps that actually operated the lines and from others who grew up with, remember or just love The Jazz Service. It will also be of interest to modellers looking to recreate GE suburban networks. New members and contributions are welcome within the context of three simple rules; Relevance, Courtesy & Respect.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1403742776558148/?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The Jazz Service on Facebook

Post by 65447 »

Cannot view it without signing up - which I refuse to do. And anyway there isn't anyone around now that can remember the original Jazz service.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi 65447, maybe "few" around can remember pre-WW2 "jazz"days but rush hour '50's were a sight to see with the arrivals& departures @ "the street",not really that slow @ any time on the turn arounds,on the Chingford/Enfield lines, I suppose it could have been the same on the other side with the Shenfield's pre "sparks" many of the N7's were kept very clean by the crews, whilst in the holding stubs awaiting draw down before departure time.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

rockinjohn wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:04 am Hi 65447, maybe "few" around can remember pre-WW2 "jazz"days but rush hour '50's were a sight to see with the arrivals& departures @ "the street",not really that slow @ any time on the turn arounds,on the Chingford/Enfield lines, I suppose it could have been the same on the other side with the Shenfield's pre "sparks" many of the N7's were kept very clean by the crews, whilst in the holding stubs awaiting draw down before departure time.
I well remember the 1950s; we lived in Enfield and I travelled from both the Town and the Chase stations. My grandfather knew a driver on the GE line and I sometimes got a footplate ride and sometimes hung around the back of the engine shed after school as there was a public road right alongside.

There was an excellent description of how those services and rapid turnarounds were worked in the GER Society Journal several years ago, written by a driver of the time, and I have a plan of Liverpool Street from the early 1960s showing all of the engine bays and other elements constructed to expedite the train movements.

But none of them were 'Jazz' services in that the original coloured bands were missing from the Quins; they were just very smartly timed and worked suburban services.