NER Dynamometer Car

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Re: NER Dynamometer Car

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks Anyone know what has happened to Mike Trice's topic on RMweb entitled "Rebuilding the Rails Dynamometer car", it's gone ?? Is this another case of arm twisting by a manufacturer who does not like adverse comments about their product whether true or not ?? I notice the official appalling YouTube review is still visible, talk about FAKE NEWS !! For whose benefit does RMweb exist, certainly seems biased in one direction.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Yes, moderators relocated it which is fair enough.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Now asking £199 for either version on eBay.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks At £199 it would almost be cheaper to order the Locomotion set and flog off the A4 in the special box.!! This would especially be so if Locomotion were to insist on some upgrades regarding the livery. Unsurprisingly my queries to Locomotion have not had the courtesy of either an answer or an acknowledgement. This attitude to giving potential customers answers to awkward questions continues with the new guys just installed.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

People can't get an answer as to where their Stirling Single order is from them.

I doubt if complaint about a item that is sold out will be high on their priority list, the latest version Dyno Car is no doubt long finished having been done in the same original batch as the others, they would be rather naive in the extreme to now suddenly issue a "revised" and extremely costly (to them) version.
Last edited by mick b on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks There is a big difference between a complaint and a polite question about a yet to be released product.
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

Back in December 2018 I said I would line out my Rails/Rapido Dynanometer Car out one day. The deed was done yesterday. Lining is not something I do much of these days due to half a century of eye strain I suppose. Rails offered Version 1 (pre-war) and Version 2 (1948), so this lined version could be called Version 3 (1946-48) and of course Rails pre-war model should have been lined out. Click on image to enlarge....
WEB Dynamometer Car 1.jpg
This photo was taken without sun...
WEB Dynamometer Car 3.jpg
WEB Dynamometer Car 4.jpg
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Precision icing of the cake! Really emphasises the curves of the centre section, that's what leaps out at me.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Still got it, even with strained eyes, hasn't he? Thanks for posting, Larry.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

It looks a lot better lined...as it should be, are you going to get rid of the white roof ?.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks What a superb job of lining that is indeed !! Now Larry needs to do all the other corrections as detailed by Mike Trice and he will finally have a model that is worth £125 instead of something of Railroad quality as supplied. In fact I suspect if all the work were completed Larry would not be willing to let it go for anywhere near £125. I don't suppose he is taking orders sadly !!
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

adrianbs wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:54 pm Hi Folks What a superb job of lining that is indeed !! Now Larry needs to do all the other corrections as detailed by Mike Trice and he will finally have a model that is worth £125 instead of something of Railroad quality as supplied.
"Railroad quality" :lol:

Sorry Adrian but you're over egging the pudding yet again. The model as supplied might not be the most accurate for any given period, but it forms an excellent basis for a modeller, and it's more than good enough for a collector and is highly detailed.

Railroad quality as per Hornby is something that hasn't got anywhere near the level of detail as the Dynamometer car has. You know this, you would prefer to be crass in your less than constructive comments.

As with elsewhere, you have the knowledge but not the tact I'm afraid.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks From my viewpoint a model which has a large percentage of roof and underframe detail either completely missing or misplaced and which also requires most of the bodywork and roof repainted and lined hardly qualifies even as an average quality model, especially at the price. There are far better models than this in the Railroad range, for example the Tornado loco just to mention one example and much cheaper into the bargain.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

adrianbs wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:02 pm
S.A.C. Martin wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:12 pm..."Railroad quality" :lol:

Sorry Adrian but you're over egging the pudding yet again. The model as supplied might not be the most accurate for any given period, but it forms an excellent basis for a modeller, and it's more than good enough for a collector and is highly detailed.

Railroad quality as per Hornby is something that hasn't got anywhere near the level of detail as the Dynamometer car has. You know this, you would prefer to be crass in your less than constructive comments.

As with elsewhere, you have the knowledge but not the tact I'm afraid.
Hi Folks From my viewpoint a model which has a large percentage of roof and underframe detail either completely missing or misplaced and which also requires most of the bodywork and roof repainted and lined hardly qualifies even as an average quality model, especially at the price. There are far better models than this in the Railroad range, for example the Tornado loco just to mention one example and much cheaper into the bargain.