My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: My Workbench - Potters Bar and South Mimms

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I established that with the factory motor in place, even the thinnest firebox top would have to sit marginally too high if a C2 body were built on a Bachmann C1 chassis. I suspect it could be made to look almost right with a thin-walled metal boiler, but the discrepancy might be annoying with plastic in any of its forms.

A motor change might be possible, but that would put the skill factor above that of some possible customers.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good day all

I think the C2 is a classical looking locomotive.

I'd like one, but I'm told that the DJH kit is overscale.

I do have two unmade Kay's C1 kits. One I'm keeping for conversion to 3279, when my modelling skills improve.

I also have a spare Q1 boiler, resulting from planned conversion of the kit to a Q3.

I can either use the Q1 boiler to produce a R1, or use it to convert the spare C1 into a C2. The smokebox would need modification.

A final thought would be to produce a C2 boiler from two J6 boilers (available from SEF).

Such are dreams.

Malcolm
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:05 am I established that with the factory motor in place, even the thinnest firebox top would have to sit marginally too high if a C2 body were built on a Bachmann C1 chassis. I suspect it could be made to look almost right with a thin-walled metal boiler, but the discrepancy might be annoying with plastic in any of its forms.

A motor change might be possible, but that would put the skill factor above that of some possible customers.
Hi Graeme,

Just a thought, but maybe have the top of the firebox open, and then fit a thin tin or plasticard bonnet over that section? in conjunction with having the locomotive sit slightly higher on the chassis? say 0.25-0.5mm, and use tiny differences in multiple areas to give the height/clearance required.

Paul.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

I don't doubt the C2 is over scale a touch. However it is a nice kit to build and I don't know of another!

I have got the Mailcoach Observation Coach as good as I can get it. (I had one earlier in the thread but this is new attempt after I pulled the old one to bits trying to get it right.)

The rest of the set are 95% complete so will pop up pictures soon.
IMG_20190822_113902.jpg
IMG_20190822_113631.jpg
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

That is a fine looking coach. Even more impressive when the quirks of the original mouldings are taken into account.

I'm looking forward to seeing the full train.

BTW A Mailcoach Coronation set went for £300 on eBay just the other day.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

£300! Imagine how worried they will be about getting paint on the windows...
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

:lol:

No problem. They can just buy a replacement from CooperCraft. He'll have the moulds sorted soon. It says so on his website. Just after the Kirk kits are back on the market. :roll:

Anyway, it not like it's a Silver Jubilee set.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

teaky wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:20 pm :lol:

No problem. They can just buy a replacement from CooperCraft. He'll have the moulds sorted soon. It says so on his website. Just after the Kirk kits are back on the market. :roll:

DO NOT buy anything from Coopercraft. You will never see the kit or your money again.

Nice Observation Car.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Yes I think we have seen the last of the Kirk or Mailcoach kits.

I decided to go for Kirk kits for standard LNER carriages and improve them here and there as I was able to get a coach for a tenner on eBay. The prices are creeping up everyday now. In hindsight I think using Hornby coaches and adding brass sides would be the way I would go now as you can pick up the Hornby coaches for reasonable prices secondhand and the result will be better.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

mick b wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:33 pm
teaky wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:20 pm :lol:

DO NOT buy anything from Coopercraft. You will never see the kit or your money again.

Nice Observation Car.
Perhaps foolishly, in posting my sarcastic comment I had assumed everyone knew about Dunn and his dishonesty but it is safer not to assume this just in case. Thanks for the reminder, Mick.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

As normal I have got 99% of the way there on both the C2 and the Coronation and something else has got my attention. I will finish them in a week or so.
I was flicking through a carriage drawings book and though that I could use a kirk non corridor full brake as the basis for a GNR passenger van Diagram 307.

Side have been made from plasticard layers using a cutting machine.
IMG_20190909_224046.jpg
IMG_20190912_171214.jpg
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Rather a nice idea and nicely done it would seem. Will they hold their shape when the tumblehome / turnunder are formed?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

Tumblehome is already there and I think while it's gentle it is ok. One of the layers in the middle is shorter so the base of the front curves back to meet the bottom layer.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

A problem I once had some years ago when trying to scratch build a side in layers of plasticard, with the outer layer curved over stepped thickness of the layer or layers behind it was this: I assumed that a thin flat outer layer would obligingly assume and retain the desired curvature when stuck onto the other layers. The innermost "flat" layer of the side turned out not to be thick enough and stiff enough to stay flat (under tension) when the outer layer was attached to it, especially in the presence of the softening action of solvent. Now that I know how to pre-curve a layer of plastic rather than simply expect the other layers to hold it in a curve, that sort of problem ought not to occur. I hope it doesn't affect your model.

Phil Brighton
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Phil Brighton »

It's all braced up so should be ok...

Anyone got any pictures of what the sort of windows (I think ) on the roof of a gnr van look like? It's not clear from the drawing.