Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Atso's new loco works - now including my Hadley Wood layout build

Post by john coffin »

Fusion is somewhat more complex than it first appears.

It is only free for a period of up to 3 years for those who can register as students and some other groups which I cannot remember.

From my perspective, having used a "proper 2D" programme, Design cad, I have found getting started with Fusion 360 more complex
than I had hoped. It seems that you import the data to start, rather than create a brand new drawing. I am sure it is the way I was
taught to use CAD, that I find it difficult to adapt.

The other important thing about Fusion is that it is a cloud based product which means it seems to be a chore to save the drawing
on your own computer. Whilst cloud based stuff is ok for companies creating products, for many of us, it is better and safer to have
the drawing saved to your own machine. However it seems that cloud's are the future, which is a little worrying for some of us.

Given what you produce on Alibre Steve, I would stay there.

Paul
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

That’s interesting Paul, I wasn’t aware of those restrictions. I’ll still have a go though as, while Alibre is a ‘professional’ package, it is a little buggy at times and cost £400 per year to keep up the maintenance contract.

I’ve been messing around with the (very) basic chassis layout and came up with this.
N1 Assembly.jpg
N1 Assembly Sectioned.jpg
Nothing special, a couple of etched frames that’ll be joined using some gapped PCB. A direct worm and wheel arrangement, but using MOD0.2 gears, giving a reduction of 1:45. Using a Nigel Lawton 8mm motor the maximum speed of the N1 will be just under 70mph; perfectly good enough for the duties that will be required of it.
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

If you are able to make a presentable chassis for the N1, you'll have a chassis for 'Many' other GN prototypes. :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Having checked again to be sure Steve, I have found a number of problems with the way I want to use Fusion 360.

Assuming you meet the "non-commercial" or start up under $100,000 turnover, it should be free, but otherwise it
costs about $60.00 month.There also appears to be quite a long term free trial.

However, to me, the downside is the cloud sharing part of the app. You need to use fusion online as it were,
i.e. you have to be online to open the programme, and it seems to me difficult to find out how to store stuff
locally, ie on your own machine, and it appears that then you cannot work on it because you need to be connected.

As I have said, I prefer to create the 2d image and then place it for 3d, and have so far found learning how to do
that in Fusion rather difficult. I am pretty sure that you need to import a specific image which you then manipulate
to provide the 3d item you want. One of the problems with having learnt to use a drawing board and trying to transfer
that knowledge to cad., and maybe just being old :roll:

Paul
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

I gave up with Fusion 360 on the Mac, it just didn't work and the only reply I got from the help desk was ' You need to subscribe'.

I will have another go with Blender when I get a toughened computer screen, that way when I get frustrated and want to put my foot through it the screen should survive....this time.. :roll:
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Blender has had a revamped user interface released with version 2.8 making it far more natural for Windows users. That might help the learnig curve but you will need to ensure any video/tutorial is based on 2.8.
Bedders
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Bedders »

Continuing to drag the discussion away from the models, I seem to remember some of your earlier stuff being designed in openSCAD, what prompted you to move on?
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

Thanks Steve, its excellent work.

I did look at blender myself at one point, and I agree, you need a toughened screen to tolerate it :lol:

For all its nuances, I still quite like CATIA these days, but for a professional package, it still has its drawbacks.

Paul.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks guys. :D

Bedders, I've always used Alibre for my CAD work. I think I'll still have a go with Fusion, but I'm less inclined to make it my "go to" CAD programme.

Returning back to some modelling for a moment, you may remember this locomotive that is slowly making its way through the works.
4452.jpg
Well I've been resisting the urge to throw it against a wall; it has proven to be very difficult to balance properly. Anyway, I decided to have another crack at it today and, feeling a little more scientific, made up this loco balancing board from a piece of tufnol and a length of 2mm brass rod.
213-030919165908.jpeg
The initial test showed the loco to be rather tail heavy so I added as much weight as I could to the front end (and removed some from the back) until the center of gravity fell just forward of the center of the coupled wheelbase (now bias to the driving wheel fitted with a traction tyre). The locomotive can now haul itself up and down a test track, which is a big improvement on its previous efforts as the video in the link below shows.

https://youtu.be/Q9gR1DKCIt8
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I've been spending a bit of time designing a better (more detailed) C12 than my previous effort seven years or so ago. Still plenty to do but it is getting there.
LNER C12 Progress 8-9-19.jpg
Steve
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Looking good Steve,
will be interested to see how you overcome the problem of wheel and frame contact at the front end over
the bogie.

Paul
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Thanks Paul,

I'm planning to use Farish's large bogie wheels (as per the C1) for the C12. These scale out at around 3'4" over the tyres and I'm hoping that when combined with some more generous clearances, this will be enough to prevent contact without compromising the overall appearance too much. Balancing the locomotive might prove interesting...
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I'm not quite there with the C12 (just silly things I've missed like the bunker steps and holes for the cab hand grab) but very close to calling this CAD complete now.
LNER C12 Progress 9-9-19.jpg
LNER C12 Progress1 9-9-19.jpg
Steve
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

After all that work on the N1 and C12, it's a pity you can't scale them up to 4 mm, sure there would be a market..... :wink:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

There is certainly an N1 available in 4mm: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ajmodels