Edgware GN. What next.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. One of Ivatt's 0-8-2 tanks.

Post by Hatfield Shed »

manna wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:55 pm ... I did look at the O2 as a basis for the P1, but due to it's fragility, I passed it by... You could ignore the wheels and just fit a body and tender with pretty good results.
Quite apart from the 'delicacy' of the exterior mechanism parts of the O2, there's the 'interesting' constructional scheme to adapt an A1 boiler and cab unit for a fit. The boiler interior is filled near solid with a pair of castings with the motor sandwiched between, which the plastic body shell then closely covers. Not an 'adaption friendly' construction when looking to make a conversion. As above, refer to the O2 thread for much more information.

That apart, the visible powered mechanism and footplate - if the undersize driving wheels are acceptable - would do for a P1 lookee-likee, and the flush sided tender body is robust enough to take new upper sides, but will need replacement frames.

Before walking that road I am going to wait to see if Heljan will offer the GNR cab and tender version. Because if not, that's the first project on the basis of one of these...
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Has there been anymore progress on the P1 locomotive.

Can't wait to see the finished loco.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Sorry little progress has been made in the last couple of weeks, as life is getting in the way, I have managed to get the cylinders and valve gear hooked up, it 'rolls' but has a sticky point, which I haven't had time to investigate.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Finally, I have managed a little bit time spare. So many family problems. But back to the P1. I managed to find the sticky point on the P1, using D49 valve gear, has it's drawbacks but, I wanted to see if it could be made into a runner, on the piston rod there is a kink, this what was hitting the nut on the front wheel, I squeezed it flat with a pair of pliers. Bingo, a free running chassis, also had a coat of spray paint, front pony and rear trailing wheels are now attached, as well, next job.........pick ups. Lets see how that goes, and will I get time before Christmas. :roll:

manna
Attachments
DSCF3851.JPG
DSCF3852.JPG
DSCF3854.JPG
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Edgware GN. P1, progress.

Post by Mersey508138 »

Well done there manna. Your loco is far better than my attempt which used a hornby 8F chassis.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Nice to see the P1 progressing Manna, a lovely locomotive and one well worth modelling.
Steve
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Nice to see some progress on your P1, life does have a nasty habit of getting in the way.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for the replies, I'm enjoying building the P1, it's fun trying to work it all out, but can't keep my mind focused, far to many distractions. Old aged has it's problems, but I'm not one of them.

manna
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Managed to grab a couple of hours out in the shed, sorry, 'Man Cave' so onward with the P1, a bit of pipe work, and there is a lot of it, handrails have yet to be attempted, I've ordered them, but still waiting. Hopefully time may be a little more kind in the next couple of weeks.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4253.JPG
DSCF4254.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Happy New Year. :D

Time is now a more available, so a restart is in order. The P1 is now a runner, still a little notchy ! so a little bit more fiddling.

Playing around with a couple of Hornby Caly 0-4-0 and Nellie chassis, both have been re-wheeled so that I can fit them under the C12's I have. both are 33mm between wheel centers.

Kinda bumped into the G1 again, terrible runner, so I dismantled it, cleaned it, added a bit of weight, and away it went :oops: no idea what was wrong. At the moment fitting the trailing bogie and trying to turn a plastic rod into a chimney.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4467.JPG
DSCF4468.JPG
DSCF4473.JPG
DSCF4470.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

My experiments with making chimneys went well, although I'll have to keep practicing, I picked 6 mm perspex rod, fitted into a electric drill (medium speed) and using 1/4 inch chisels, files and time, make a reasonable chimney, I think I need to bed them in better to the boiler, and a couple are to 'fat'.

manna
Attachments
G1
G1
E1
E1
J50
J50
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I have restarted work on 4419, which I started working on more than 40 years ago, this time I might get to finish it, Fiddled with it today, changed the motor, gave it a clean and away it went, so just the valve gear to fit. Whilst looking for more information on 4419, I came across 3279, and found out that she had 2 guise's, (possibly 3) and ran for many years as a 4 cylinder simple engine, the look of it interested me, so with a little more research,I found out she was quite different from her sisters, outside cylinders, wider running plate and a wider cab, and big blocky cylinders that came half way up the smokebox :shock: So an Great British Trains, Flying Scotsman, was sacrificed, well the running plate, the rest will be scratchbuilt, a old tender drive A3 chassis has also been butchered.

The valve gear on the Robinson B1 is finally working. Most of the other engines are on hold waiting for parts, which should be here soon, along with a few other goodies.
Attachments
DSCF4524.JPG
DSCF4530.JPG
DSCF4521.JPG
DSCF4534.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

In order to clear a bit of space on my overcrowded workbench, I have stuck with the G1, two heavy days and it's almost finished, glass for the windows and weathering + sandboxes, it has a 3 link coupling on the front at the moment, bar couplings to follow shortly, pulls 6/7 wagons easily, we'll find out later if it'll pull a couple of coaches..
Attachments
DSCF4540.JPG
DSCF4547.JPG
DSCF4550.JPG
DSCF4544.JPG
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Edgware GN. G1, progress.

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Being in lock-down....well almost, ( won't be long) I've been working on scenery and Mill Hill station, Paint and Flock everywhere.

manna
Attachments
DSCF4635.JPG
DSCF4636.JPG
DSCF4637.JPG
DSCF4633.JPG
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Edgware GN. G1, progress.

Post by Horsetan »

manna wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 am... I've been working on scenery and Mill Hill station, Paint and Flock everywhere.
That view of The Hale under Bunns Lane bridge is very good.

Just think, it used to be here