5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: 5" gauge model of 4472 Flying Scotsman

Post by greenglade »

The boiler is now sitting on the chassis, needs a little tweaking for position but will do for now, my arms are tired...

side view

And a close up of the backhead

And one of the real thing, well of 1470 but there's no difference,

I will add all the crinolines and clothing later, along with the backhead cladding which I'll strive to do a faithful true scale version bar the height of the water gauge glass which of course will need to be higher, thanks for looking guys...:)

Pete
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I'm thoroughly impressed.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

It looks fantastic, a beautiful piece of engineering.

Gresley engines (particularly the Pacifics) always back up that adage "if it looks right, it usually is"

Cheers,
Paul.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Thanks, guys

I don't post a lot of detail on this forum but if you or anyone else is interested in following my build I do give regular detailed reports on a number of social media formats. Perhaps the best to view would be Facebook as it's layout allows me to give details of the full-size loco and the research that I add to help me with the build, mind you, I only give *snippets (reminders) of what I've learnt from my research which now goes back over 20 years, I have a number of large photo volumes and written data to help me.
Anyway, for those wishing to know more, you'll find everything here.. https://www.facebook.com/liveSteamFlyin ... 5y5iitne7c

Cheers

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Today the tender meets loco with boiler fitted for the first time, details on my build page, I'll just say here that I'm very happy with how she's comparing to full size...:)

Cheers

Pete
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Understandably happy.....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Beautiful, well done !!
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

Nice work Pete, I'm sure those who will see it soon will be impressed with the progress.
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Absolutely top notch work there sir
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

Thanks, for the kind words chaps, this Saturday 4472 was out in the daylight enjoying the sun at a visiting club day. I, of course, took a few pictures but our resident Photographer Owen Chapman takes far better pictures than I, he sent me a few tonight and here's one of them in high resolution.

Cheers

Pete
ROY@34F
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by ROY@34F »

I've been following this story for some time now. What a fantastic build this is. It must be a wonderful sight in 5" gauge , even at this unfinished state.Brings back precious memories of my days firing on these things many moons ago. Thank you Sir Greenglade for keeping us posted on the developing magic.

Roy.
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

ROY@34F wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:07 pm I've been following this story for some time now. What a fantastic build this is. It must be a wonderful sight in 5" gauge , even at this unfinished state.Brings back precious memories of my days firing on these things many moons ago. Thank you Sir Greenglade for keeping us posted on the developing magic.

Roy.

Thank you, Roy, very kind of you sir...

Pete
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

I'm still beavering away on 4472, of late I've been paying more attention to the 3 cylinders, they are getting close to be finished. I have now made the pistons and their rods, the bores have been honed to a smooth finish and silicone rings fitted. I have also finished the valve slides and added the oil [pots as per prototype. Next job will be to make/fit the liners and the valve bobbins and also make the slidebars and their crossheads, lot's to do....:)

a picture to show the valve guide slides on the outside cylinders...

Middle cylinder with test oil lines in place, these won't be exactly in this position, I'll route them after test fitting the saddle, this will be some time away.

Here are the cylinders so far, bore and valve end covers have of course been removed

Pete
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Once again Pete,
really nice work, and well finished, it should tow things very well.

Paul
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

john coffin wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:10 pm Once again Pete,
really nice work, and well finished, it should tow things very well.

Paul
thank's Paul...

I'm on a bit of a mission just now, I've had a request from my ME club to do a presentation on the model next year, this will be in tandem with a presentation by Ian Mccabe on the full-size FS and her history, I'm very much looking forward to it and thus trying to get her a little more advanced than I had originally planned for then.

I have now finished the liners, I hope that I don't have to make any more of these in a hurry as the hours taken to machine them was considerable.

Picture of all 6 liners, made from bronze, 6 x 3/16th square ports in each

a picture showing one of the liners fitted into the front steam chest on the middle cylinder, this still needs to have an 11/16th reamer run through it and be polished/lapped.

Cheers

Pete