Peascliffe Tunnel Signal Box near Grantham

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Iron Duke
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Peascliffe Tunnel Signal Box near Grantham

Post by Iron Duke »

I wonder if anyone has any information, or perhaps even a photograph of 'Peascliffe Tunnel Signal Box' which I think was situated on the Grantham side of the road bridge just south of the tunnel. There was also at one time a signal box positioned near to the north and south portals of the tunnel, so these are of great interest to me too.

Many thanks in anticipation of any reply :)
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Peascliffe Tunnel Signal Box near Grantham

Post by Mickey »

The second unnamed s/box that you may be referring to Iron Duke between the two tunnels was Belton which I believe it was closed during the early 1920s?. Once I go north of Peterborough the GN gets a bit hazy in regards to my route knowledge.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Peascliffe Tunnel Signal Box near Grantham

Post by thesignalman »

I concur. Belton is the only permanent box I know of between Peascliffe and Barkston - closed 1922 I think.

Peascliffe itself closed in 1937.

In more recent times there was a "Peascliffe Temporary" for a few months in 1978 but winding the clock back i suspect the two boxes mentioned were "Peascliffe South" and "Peascliffe North" temporary boxes used during 1886. I think it is likely they were provided for sinbgle-line working for tunnel repairs.

Best regards,

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/