West End Workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

Can I just notify all his fans that Mr. King will not be appearing at Hartlepool on Saturday? Sunday remains a possibility but only that.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I took the opportunity at Hartlepool to photograph the completed D45 prototype on Shap. Ian is undertaking at least one more test build before the kit is available.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

A very characterful model Jonathan.

John
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Jonathan,

You may be interested to note that one D45 was allocated to the GE Section - 6700 (later 70038) and lasted until April 1965...
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think you’ll find that 70038 is indeed the vehicle in the photo....
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:00 pm I think you’ll find that 70038 is indeed the vehicle in the photo....
The image lacks sufficient definition and cannot be enlarged, so I couldn't tell!
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Great to meet up on Saturday in monkey hanging land, pity Mr King could not make it but Scottiedog
made up for it. Did Tony buy any of his carriages, bet he took the one I would have had. A great show
and always fun to catch up with so many friends.
The BG looks very nice....you did not show it to me.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Yes, an excellent weekend and thank you to the members of this parish who came and said hello. I couldn't have shown you the BG, Dave, as I only brought it on Sunday, after making sure I would be able to photograph it. Even then I had to wait for Sir to finish.

I think he acquired a D111 matchboard 3rd and a newspaper van. I came away with another matchboard BT, so I at last have a pair to top and tail a rake.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

As Mr. King has reminded me, I shall be at Warley this weekend messing about with wagons. Please do call by if you fancy a chat or need a sit down. Stand A86, handy for the Gents.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Handy for your weak bladder then..............

You and Mr King will be pleased to know I will NOT be going to Warley, I can think of nothing worse, mixing
with all the great unwashed and the crowds, hope you both enjoy it.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I seem to have been quite close every year so far.... I imagine the cleaning staff have had a word.

We're in our own little enclave and will be well stocked with Lemon Drizzle and Malt Loaf; as long as the tea gets through, we'll be fine. The trains are apparently on strike, though, so how Mrs. W will amuse herself I'm not at all sure.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

West End Workbench

Post by jwealleans »

It's the holidays so maybe we'll do some modelling. I've mainly been fiddling on finishing the wagons I started at Hartlepool and then Warley. Most aren't relevant to this forum, but these are:

I did plastic kits this year with an emphasis on mixing and matching. I believe the technical term is 'crosskitting'? Anyway, here are a Parkside fitted van and a Cambrian 6 plank open built with each others' underframes. The ABS 6 plank fitted open has been unavailable for a long time and unfitted vans aren't commonly seen so I thought it was worth a try. Neither is quite perfect, but once weathered you have to look very hard to see.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Good Morning

Please may I ask about the vacuum pipes you've fitted to your braked open wagon?
I don't seem able to find any 'diagonal' pipes on-line.
Before I cut and bend up some MJT upright pipes I thought I'd ask!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

LMS, I think, Caroline. They aren't diagonal either - they hamper the coupling if they're put in the correct place so I fit them vertically. It's not obvious from side on.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

drmditch wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:46 pm Good Morning

Please may I ask about the vacuum pipes you've fitted to your braked open wagon?
I don't seem able to find any 'diagonal' pipes on-line.
Before I cut and bend up some MJT upright pipes I thought I'd ask!

I use these ones , bendable with care and fit snug underneath the wagon end.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanark ... te_177.htm