Gresley V4 Re-created

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Gresley V4 Re-created

Post by markindurham »

zandra wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:16 pm Why does it have to have a name at all. Most locomotives did not have names and if the V4 class had been expanded the locomotives would probably not have had names. After Gresley’s death Thompson decided not to build any more and built the B1 instead. Most of those were not named.

Surely a number would be enough. The next number in sequence would have been 3403, 1702 or 61702 depending on the period.

Zandra
Because it has to appeal to Joe Public as well as railway enthusiasts these days - and rightly or wrongly, <normals> seem to recognise locomotives by name, not number.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Forward as per the company motto.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Horsetan wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:45 pm
Eightpot wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:36 pm
Horsetan wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:13 pm "CORSAIR"....because they had V4s fitted.

Alternatively "SAAB 96" :lol:
Ford 'Vee' engines of that time - not the greatest.
Lancia any good?
TRANSIT? CONSUL? TAUNUS? :mrgreen:
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Given that Tornado takes its name from the Panavia Tornado, perhaps they could continue along those lines . The obvious one being Harrier (fits with the A4 names as well), or Typhoon....Jaguar maybe...Phantom (oh please). Any takers for Eurofighter??? Or is that bad taste...

Cheers
Paul
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

'Typhoon' ; a duplication that some might not like, of the same-name on an RH&DR loco ?

BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Paul_sterling
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Paul_sterling »

continuing the fowl names, how about "Rubber Duck"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(yes its okay for me to laugh at my own joke, its not really mine)

serious note
I'm happy to see that the V4 is to be reconstructed, a K3 would have also been nice given how many were built.

Paul.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

OK considering the original pair worked in Scotland and reviving connections to/with Sir Walter Scott. How about Waverley? In this instance it would be Waverley [1899-1940], not the current surviving much loved P.S. Waverley. But her predecessor lost during Operation Dynamo, the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk, hence the 1899-1940 in brackets.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Again, just for fun, I was recalling some of the wonderful names carried by various Scottish locos relating to Sir Walter Scott’s characters, specifically Luckie Mucklebackit. Having googled LM some names previously unknown, to me,have cropped up.
I think we could afford a smile if the V4 came out with ‘plates from one of the following

JEDEDIAH CLEISHBOTHAM
SAUNDERS MUCKLEBACKIT
NIGEL OLIFAUNT
HENRY SMITH*
WILLIE STEENSON
ULLA TROIL
SIR ARTHUR WARDOUR*

*yes, quite boring I know!
Midland Excursion
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Midland Excursion »

markindurham wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:56 pm
zandra wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:16 pm Why does it have to have a name at all. Most locomotives did not have names and if the V4 class had been expanded the locomotives would probably not have had names. After Gresley’s death Thompson decided not to build any more and built the B1 instead. Most of those were not named.

Surely a number would be enough. The next number in sequence would have been 3403, 1702 or 61702 depending on the period.

Zandra
Because it has to appeal to Joe Public as well as railway enthusiasts these days - and rightly or wrongly, <normals> seem to recognise locomotives by name, not number.
I agree. But it's not just normals - a name gives a locomotive a character, making it far easier to remember. And, in certain cases, an additional aethsetic appeal. Somewhere on the web there is a shot of a Black 5 (sorry, LNER fans) on Kentish Town shed. It's taken through an archway (IIRC) and only shows part of the very clean locomotive from the side. And it just so happens to be one of the four named ones (it's 45154, IIRC). The nameplate, over the splasher, just makes the whole picture so much more beautiful in terms of the lines.

As to the name itself, well, I don't think a warlike name suits a V4, so Typhoon and the like would not get my vote. There are dozens of Brits who accomplished huge achievements who have never been officially recognised (the two most deserving in my books are Dr Jenner, who discovered the smallpox vaccine, and Jethro Tull, the inventor of the seed drill). But how about someone from the north-east, or Scotland, where the V4s did most of their work? How about Humpfry Davy - inventor of the Davy Lamp (and a load of other stuff)? Ah - he came from Cornwall, and he was knighted.

What about a labour leader from the area? Or Grace Darling, the heroine of the Longstone Lighthouse?
Midland Excursion
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Midland Excursion »

STAFFORDA4 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:43 pm Again, just for fun, I was recalling some of the wonderful names carried by various Scottish locos relating to Sir Walter Scott’s characters, specifically Luckie Mucklebackit. Having googled LM some names previously unknown, to me,have cropped up.
I think we could afford a smile if the V4 came out with ‘plates from one of the following

JEDEDIAH CLEISHBOTHAM
SAUNDERS MUCKLEBACKIT
NIGEL OLIFAUNT
HENRY SMITH*
WILLIE STEENSON
ULLA TROIL
SIR ARTHUR WARDOUR*

*yes, quite boring I know!
The Laird of Balmawhapple ? :D
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

nzpaul wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:41 am...Any takers for Eurofighter??? Or is that bad taste...
THUNBERG :?: :roll:
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

Horsetan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30 am
nzpaul wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:41 am...Any takers for Eurofighter??? Or is that bad taste...
G'Day Gents

That would be a bit of Irony, which would get the little Miss fired up, " How Dare you "................

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

'Conjugated Farewell' .......... :lol:
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

[/quote]

I'm sure she'd love it. It's a very green engine afterall...... 8)

Paul
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Given the long-running pandemic, and the scandals circulating around SAGE experts, regulations and rules, enforcement, PPE procurement, government bungling and all that jazz, maybe a topical V4 name might be:

VAN-TAM COCKUP

Incidentally, Judith Edge Kits have recently released a scratchbuilder's etch pack for the V4, so here's your chance to "name that tune in one" :lol: