GNR CCT

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Drummond
NER Y7 0-4-0T

GNR CCT

Post by Drummond »

Hi
I have an old 7mm D&S kit for a covered carriage truck.
I am wondering about livery and lettering details during the Great Northern period.
Please can anyone help ?
Many thanks
JM
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: GNR CCT

Post by swhite01 »

Hello,

I am hoping the attached is of help.

It an official photograph of one variant of CCT, Diagram 360,vehicle 3164 and it shows the lettering and colouring of the CCT.

Vehicle colour would have been varnished teak as the CCT's were Carriage stock, lettering was shaded, black sole bar and white roof. The vehicle had Mansell wheels with teak centres.

I have built a 4mm model of the D&S CCT but mine was a Dia 358 it differs with no toplights although this variant also has windows in both doors.

I hope this is of help,

Steve

GNRS Publications Officer www.gnrsociety.com
Attachments
3164_GNR_CCT_ex_PHA_8Oct1909.jpg
Drummond
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Drummond »

Steve,
thank you kindly.
You have been doubly helpful because I just purchased the GNRS Howlden Non-Passenger stock book from you which is excellent and informative.
One quick question - you say the body colour was varnished teak. The black and white photos always seem to make this look like a solid brown. is that just the photographic emulsion ? These CCT's should be finished in a similar teak effect to the passenger carriages with the lettering shaded. black ? Thanks
Jonathan
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Pretty sure that "NON Carriage" NPCC stock was painted teak brown because in general they were not made of teak.
Some other vehicles were built of teak and thus just replicated the carriage painting.

Paul
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

Evening Jon,

As Paul notes the NPCS stock would have been painted "Teak Brown", there has been discussion on the subject a number of times on the Forum but the attached link has a number of good images and views on the colour:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9863&hilit=brown&si ... &start=157

Steve

www.gnrsociety.com