Pease and Partners Ltd

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Pease and Partners Ltd

Post by Graeme Leary »

I have 2 Bachmann tank wagons, Pease and Partners Ltd Darlington, and am interested in finding out if these actually existed.

A google search suggests Pease and Partners (and various names before some companies in the Pease group amalgamated) were in fact mainly concerned with mining. If so would Pease and Partners Ltd have ever run tank wagons ie are the Bachmann models correct (but I do accept they may have been for liquid gas).

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Pease and Partners Ltd

Post by Graeme Leary »

Further to my last post.

I would also like to find out if the Bachmann 4 wheel tank with Shell on one side and BP on the other (Bachmann 37-679) is likewise a correct portrayal of 'livery' used (and during the grouping period).

A search of GANSG Oil, Petrol and Gas states "From 1932 until the end of 1975 Shell-Mex and BP had an 'Agency Agreement' in which they pooled their distribution network'. Would this suggest this particular livery was in use during the Grouping or more likely from 1948 on?

Graeme
NDN
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by NDN »

Turton (Private Owner Wagons A Ninth Collection) illustrates a Charles Roberts tank wagon built for Pease and Partners Limited Darlington in 1930. One of a number built by them for tar.

The Bachmann tank wagon 37-679 follows a picture in Tourret (Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Britain) described as the new 1936 livery for Shell-Mex and B.P. Their tankers were jointly operated from 1932. The post war Class A livery was silver with red solebars.

Nigel
Rambler
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Rambler »

There a several Pease and Partners tank wagons shown on the HMRS site, e.g. https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/pease-p ... no-85.html, although they may not be exactly the same design as the Bachmann wagons.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Pease and partners is related to Edward Pease who helped start the Stockton and Darlington Railway. He was originally a
wool merchant, and was amongst many who sought to improve inland to sea delivery of coal and other products including
minerals (i.e stone etc). Edward was also a close friend of George and Robert Stephenson, investing in the engine manufactures.

A later relative Sir Joseph, built on the family fortune by opening a bank, and later buying a number of collieries. After the bank
failed in 1902, a number of other people took it over, and then started buying other collieries, so that by 1945, quite a large group
was part of the nationalisation of the coal industry by the Atlee government.

HTH
Paul
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks Nigel, Rambler and Paul. Clarifies my Bachmann 37-679 is correct for the period I'm modelling (and also some good background on Pease and Partners).

Graeme
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

NIgel oops- and of course the Bachmann 37-662 (Pease and Partners) - got the name/livery reversed. for the 2 models.

The other Bachmann tank wagon model I'd like to clarify if correct for the Grouping era is 37-666 (a 3 wagon pack described as '14 ton tank wagons, Essi Black Weathered'.with the oval Esso logo towards each end of the wagon.

The GANSG Oil etc wagons site shows this livery (but with a side ladder that the model doesn't have) as 'Post war'. Similarly 'British Railway Tank Wagon Design' site shows the same (with a ladder) as 'mid-1940s and BITUMEN under both Esso oval logos. Should BITUMEN and the ladder be part of the model for it to be correct. Another slight difference on the GANSG site indicates a raised section coming out from both sides of the ladder. (This might be for carrying and fixing the ladder/s - presume both sides).

'Post War' could obviously be included in the Grouping but only for a couple of years before Nationalisation.

Not in any of my books so grateful for any comments.

Graeme
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

A modeller who knows far more about tank wagons than I do told me that as a rule of thumb, if it has a ladder it's postwar. Subject to all the exception which prove the rule, of course, but as a starting principle I find it works.
NDN
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by NDN »

Graeme,

You're welcome.
The Esso within the oval is post war lasting to the early 1960s. Pre-war a single Esso covers most of the tank.
I looked at the liveries for the same reason a while back.

Nigel
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks NDN and Jonathon.

From your comments therefore think mine will have to be a compromise; they don't have ladders so therefore pre-war but as they have the double Esso within the logo each side, will take the post war literally but consider them as within the grouping and the 2 years before nationalisation.

D17's 'Rule 1' will apply (and all this of interest for any eagle eyed visitors who might know this sort of thing).

Graeme
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Standard Oil had re branded its petroleum products after the first world war, as Esso, so the only difference is any
photographic evidence that two roundels were not used before the second world war.

Paul
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Paul and to avoid any possible inaccuracies I won't run these double oval Esso logo wagons. Hopefully therefore my mixed goods trains with the odd other tank wagon included will be accurate for the pre-war part of the grouping.

I had planned to run these in 'block' flammable liquid trains but have also learnt on the forum a while back that 'block' flammable liquid tank wagon trains were not introduced until the war, therefore date from 1939. I have sufficient tank wagons (all confirmed as pre-war 'livery' models) to include odd ones in such earlier mixed goods, as shown in various period photos I have now acquired.

Anyone in New Zealand interested in a mint condition Bachmann 3 wagon set 37-666, 14 Ton Tank wagons Esso Black Weathered?

Graeme